Tablets...

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Jaundice, Jun 14, 2011.

1. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

they were in fashion a few years ago...never caught on unless you where a doctor scribbling notes with stylus.
    the on screen keyboard is no good for lots of typing.
    prob on a par with using mobile phone to type a word doc

2. Admin Guest

my mum now has an Ipad, mostly to keep up with her sister, as nice as it was, I really couldn't see the point of it, a halfway house between a laptop and a decent mobile phone. But not a replacement for either.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

It will be with iOS5.

4. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Well having looked at laptops on the site trev recommended I thought i'd go to pc world and look at one in the flesh before ordering off the internet. To get to the laptops I had to walk past the huge display of tablets in the doorway, and ended up buying a xoom

It's great for going on the internet, viewing documents, there's even an autodesk application for viewing .dwg's. When I went over to my mates on saturday to change the wheel bearings in the golf it meant I could take the whole bentley manual wit me rather than the usual 2 printed pages.

It does however struggle with streaming video over my home network, the VNC application I have is difficult to use and MS office is non existent so thanks to trev I have also ordered this:

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_As...6_HD__Win7HP_64-bit__LX.R4402.108/version.asp

I had the ram upgraded to 6gb and all in it cost 360 which I think is a steal for such a high spec laptop

5. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

That's what I found with most apple users, you ever noticed how they all say "my battery needs charging on my I phone" or " I'll look it up on my I phone"as if they have to tell everyone that they have an iphone all the time. :lol:

6. andypaterson Forum Member

Hence the old joke:
    Q: "How can you tell if someone has an Apple product?"
    A: "They tell you."

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hey that sounds good. I haven't tried a Xoom yet but might pick one up. Despite what I said I do still find tablets extremely useful; the Archos 101 has had a lot of use lately. Putting a Bentley manual on it is a brilliant idea - I did the same with the Bentley PDF when working on the Corrado. So useful.

8. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

For viewing documents its brilliant, the touch screen works really well, and zooming in on the diagrams on a tablet is much easier than squinting at paper copies. It does fall down when creting documents though, I haven't found anything that can cope with my spreadsheets yet, although I'm sure someone will come up with something soon, its still very early days for the honeycomb OS

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I managed to get one of the 32gb HP touchpads for 115 in the give away sale last monday, wasnt planned just happened to be online when some came up for sale that minute and within 4 minutes they where gone!

At home I cant see a great use for it, I have a wireless keyboard/touchpad and big monitor attached to my lap top so thats better to use, touchpad is slow and if you get it to do to much it plays up, but I do like how it all works interface wise, be good when android is released on it. Out and about its good but only because my phone is android it can be used as mifi/wifi and I have genuine unlimited usage so I can stream as much as I want, still I dont go out and do activities that a tablet fits into much so I can see it getting left at home most of the time.

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

You are VERY lucky to have bought one of those discounted HP tablets because apparently there has been a stupidly massive demand for them now, to the point where one or two major retail websites that were stocking them had crashed because of people trying to buy them!

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Was very lucky but wasnt sure I actualy had one till 9pm last night when it turned up so was a suprise as I had had various emails from PC world but none actually saying one had been sent, also they hadnt replied to emails asking what was happening that I sent 5 days ago, was awear there was quite a demand just minutes after I got one I refreshed the page where I saw the link and it was a whole new page of people saying it was crashing on them.

Plenty on ebay now around the 200 mark which is still cheap for a tablet, Andriod should be out for it soon among other cool things, alot of computer software programing type folks bought these so should be plenty to look forward to.

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Colleague at work got one. Runs like a bag of ****e. No wonder HP dropped them so soon. Should run ok'ish if you get Droid on it. But I also hae Android.

13. andypaterson Forum Member

14. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

There's only one Android tablet I'd be looking at - HTC Flyer.

That's because I'm a card-carrying full member of the HTC FaNbOi club.

(I think Deako wants to push ahead of Stephen Fry in the queue to be Steve Jobs)