Talk to me about mk1 audi TTs

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by pedey84, Nov 11, 2012.

1. pedey84 New Member

Been looking at the 225 coupes, and am after some info and people experiences?
    Any pros? any cons?
    Any major issues?
    Anything in particular to look out for when viewing them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

im sure the coil packs can be prone to failing but not majour
    only other time i have worked on a tt is either general maintenance and when a cambelt snapped on one. make sure the cambelt has been changed =]

3. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

Check the usual things, service history,body work, HPI etc.

If it has been on Audi Variable servicing odds are the oil pick up pipe will be sludging up and reqs changing. It's not too hard a job, drop the sump and it's 2 bolts that hold the pick up on.

Rear diff earth straps are pretty common for breaking, easy way to tell is if you plug in VCDS it will come up with an ECU error in the AWD. Easy to replace, either get one from the dealers or you cam make one up yourself.

When you view you want to start the car from cold and check for any hunting/unstable idle. Vac pipes underneath the inlet manifold are prone the splitting/leaking when they get some age on them. The PCV pipes under the manifold are also favourites for this too. Easy fixes.

It's fairly common for the instrument cluster DIS to lose some pixels and sometimes there are issues with the gauges going faulty. There are companies who can repair these for relatively inexpensive, BBA-Reman for example.

As stated by Vdub_Matt coils pack can be prone to going down, however there is currently a dealer recall happening for coils packs, if they haven't already been replaced.

Thermostats can be common too. Get it hot then when driving put the heaters on full hot and watch the temp gauge, shouldn't fall, but if it does odds are the stats dead. Not bad to change, just a little fiddly if you leave everything in situe. My preference for doing them is to take the alternator off.

That's all i can think of for now, hope it helps.

4. pedey84 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys