Tappets - all the same?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by misteralz, Jun 4, 2007.

1. misteralz Forum Member

Only asking as I started my engine rebuild yesterday. Took the cam off after numbering the caps and putting them away safe and stupidly turned the head upside-down to see if all the valves were seating correctly... you know what happened next... [:$] :lol: :lol:

2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

lol

weve all done it:lol: luckily mine fell out as i was turning the head over onto some newspaper so they all fell out in order and i was able to put them back in the correct order.
    hopefully some of the forum gurus can confirm this;)
    but im sure though they are all machined to within the same tolerances/sizes so pop them back in and they should be ok.

3. misteralz Forum Member

Heh, I know, I'm a tit. :lol: Just wondered if they'd have worn in a way specific to each tappet and getting them back in the wrong order would knacker that? Last engine I built was a hot Ford Crossflow and stuff like that didn't matter. Because there weren't any tappets. ;)

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I know what you mean about them wearing in a specific way, but since, when you fit new ones, you just pop them in any hole, I can`t see it being a problem.

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

It'll be fine.