Tapping engine

Discussion in '8-valve' started by muppet9966, Aug 20, 2008.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Hey guys,
    I have noticed that my car is making tapping noises when (in neatral, quickly revved up) or when in gear and putting my foot down (under load).
    The car has been sat on my drive for just over a week (but before that it was working fine (and quitely), and I started driving it on Monday.
    Oil level is fine, although I'm due to do a service on it soon (a month or two).

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like it might be pinking. Is it the carb car in your sig? A service would probably help!

It's hard to tell from your description, but it could also be the tappets rattling, in which case, have a go with the ATF trick. If it's the tappets, it'll be loudest when you first start the engine.

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Mike,
    I dont think its pinking, I've had pinking with the car before (when the ignition timing was way out).
    Yes it is the carb in my sig.
    A service could help, although the oil, oil filter & air filter were changed just after Jan/Feb this year.
    It sound like the tappets, as its loud when I first start the engine, but I'm not sure for sure.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think my oil has been done 3 times since jan feb this year haha.

if its tappets, do the atf clean and see how it goes from there

5. muppet9966 Forum Member

Well guys,
    I dont think the tapping noise is the tapets, I can hear the tappets on a cold morning for afew minutes, then it disappears.
    However this noise seems like its coming from the back of the engine.
    I had the exhaust checked over the weekend and its all fine (expect theres a small hole in the backbox - could this cause the noise?)
    Is there anything else that can cause a tapping sound around the back of the engine?