TBs on an 8V

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by setgti, May 31, 2004.

1. setgti Forum Member

Is anyone running throttle bodies on an 8V?

2. jc.. Forum Member

you need a cross flow head to take any real advantage of them and get away from the exhaust manifold heat.
    Digi 8v exhaust and inlets are almost touching!

Few people still do it though

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Clicky

Awesome work done by this bloke, shows what can be achieved on a budget if you try.

4. VR6Will Forum Member

Im currently building one at the moment!

Am using an audi 3a block (2l short block) crank has been balanced and lightend along with flywheel, pulley and rods, new piston rings, main bearings, big end bearings and thrust washers,

for the head i've just ordered a 8v crossflow from TSR, this will be a schrick solid lifter conversion head with 304 cam, 40.5mm inlet valves and 35mm exhaust valves, vernier pulley etc,

then just need to order my throttle bodies which will most probably be from Badger-Bill running DTA management,

I havent looked at the vwvortex thread yet but will do shortly, am sure you can build it alot cheaper than i am, however the main expense is the throttle bodies and managment!

I went for the crossflow head, as i have a 4branch manifold and the heat that that gives off is emense and cant see it being very good if your throttle bodies are directly above it! also not sure whether the master cylinder has to be relocated, another good point is the amount of airflow that your going to get going into the throttle bodies!

[:D] [:D] [:D]
    Edited by: oakgreen88

5. RoyF18 Forum Member

Will your 4-branch fit onto the new crossflow head or will it need modification? Is it one from a new Beetle?

6. VR6Will Forum Member

fits striaght on! [:D]

only thing i am having difficulty with is, i want to loose the dizzy, cos the management will have a coil pack, and therefore dont need the dizzy,

only thing is the dizzy drives the oil pump on an 8v, cant use 16v intermediate shaft and oil pump cos the 8v sprocket doesnt fit 16v shaft, (this is only what i've been told, havent tried it myself yet, so might be wrong)

so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
    Edited by: oakgreen88

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Blanking plate off 16v fit the block?

8. setgti Forum Member

Hmmm.. Crossflow might be an option but I've had SOOO much work done to my Digifant head. Also, the counterflow allows for longer runners if you roll them over the top of the "rocker" cover to the front of the engine.