TDI Basic Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Mike_H, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

So, I've just bought an Audi 80 TDI - 90 hp AAZ lump I think, just before the transition to 1Z EDIT: I think this is wrong actually... it's just an earlier version of the 1Z with a simpler pump.

From scanning through this and other forums, and talking to a few folk, I've got a bit of a list together, of things I should check to make sure it's running properly, and then tweak the performance.

If anyone's aware of pros and cons with the tuning stuff, I'd welcome the feedback, and more ideas if I haven't thought of them.

Getting it running right:

- Investigate and sort any fault codes - 3rd injector seems suspect so far.
    - Clean out the intercooler, check for any boost leaks, replace worn hoses, etc.
    - Clean out the inlet manifold to shift any gunge in there
    - Change the fuel filter.
    - Check pump timing in VAGCOM

Cheap and cheerful tuning tweaks.
    - EGR Blank (will this make it struggle with MOT emissions?

- Advance Fuel pump timing a bit?

- EVRY Mod (adding a resistor in the fuel pump wiring to up the fuelling) - if it's suitable for my engine. Obviously this will put more load on the fuel pump / engine / gearbox / clutch, but is reckoned to be worth about 15 bhp and 30 lbft.

- There's a guy on the Audifans forum who reckons he's got a bit more power (with a dyno lottery print to back it up) with an EGR blank, enlarging the air intake to the airbox, and venting the area at the rear of the intercooler, to help the cooling airflow through that. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not all that keen on fitting bigger turbos, intercoolers, or injectors, although a mate might have a couple of spare intercoolers from Audi 200 Quattro Turbos... would these be worth investigating? is a bigger intercooler on its own worth a look?

This is meant to be a sensible econimical daily driver / load lugger / tow car, but a bit of extra torque would be handy for overtaking and towing up hills, but not for full time use.

...although... I have heard that a guy on eBay has a slightly accident damaged Le Mans engine for sale.... Alan McSomebody...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. m1keh Forum Member

Getting it running right you've covered all the basics, when setting the pump timing set it to the middle of the upper portion of the graph in vag-com.

Another good plan is to replace all of the small rubber pressure and vaccuum pipes from n75 valves etc to the turbo and ecu. These are generally all getting old and hard and leaking causing loss of performance. Also replacing the pipe which is inside the ecu to the map sensor should be done as these are notorious for leaking as well.

Some full load logging of the basic maf and boost pressures is also a good idea to check everything is working like it should. I keep thinking I should do a basic tdi logging guide for here...

Cleaning out all of the inlet and intercooler is a good idea. Intercooling should be adequate enough on these cars to run stock power or evry mod power. You won't gain much if from fitting anything bigger until your going to fit bigger turbo's etc. Although it would reduce exhaust gas temperatures whilst towing up hills etc which will extend turbo life.

EGR blank has no effect on MOT emissions, leave it all electronically plugged in though to save any fault codes in the ecu.

Evry mod is suitable and will give you a noticable increase in performance. It's crude but effective. The better but more expensive option is chip tuning, but I believe this is an older generation 8bit ecu which was updated to 16 bit in later 1z's in golfs, finding someone who will make chips for these now is not so easy. Although the ecu probably is already socketed so changing the chip would be a simple job, there might be ebay specials. I can make chips for newer cars but haven't really looked into these yet.

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

more or less covered the most of it Mike, advancing pump & getting touch more fuel in does what you need

a better intercooler does make a difference, I have a S2 in mine at the moment

4. geeteethree Forum Member

IP timing with VAGCOM was a very useful excercise I found, and altering it was relatively painless (found mine to be significantly retarded). Have bought a EGR blank but yet to fit, an essential mod if running veg-oil so I'm told.

cheers, Grant

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

EGR Blank is a must especially when you think its only 2.50 for one , if the engine has high miles remove the inlet manifold and clean it out when you fit the blank.

As you can see the effects of the EGR Valve on the inlets with get covered in 10mm of Oily Soot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Inlet manifold gaskets & Exhaust also EGR Blanks Plates for the exhaust manifold

[​IMG]

EGR Blank plate fitted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks for the offer - I think the AHU is a later engine and control system, but I'll check out some bits and pieces when I pick the car up, and see if I can figure out if it's going to be compatible.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks for all the pointers, guys. From the reading round I've done, there seems to be some opinion that the pump gets more retarded as it wears (even if its physically in the right position, it takes a bit longer to open the injectors), so actually it's better to advance the pump a bit to allow for that.

Is ebay the best source for the EGR blanks?

8. m1keh Forum Member

The pump plug where the tuning box plugs in is the same on ahu and 1z Mike :).

9. m1keh Forum Member

I just made one from a 2mm piece of aluminium. Couple of seconds with some tin snips and a drill. Made sure it was clamped tight by leaving the egr physically there but with the plate in between.

10. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

PhatVR6 has aload for sales :thumbup:

when pump is worn you need a diesel pulse adaptor to set the timimg more accuratley [:D]

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is he still on here? Haven't seen a post in ages.

I did read about diesel pulse adaptors for using a timing light - probably on the TDIForums - not cheap, from a quick look on ebay. I wonder if there are any clever DIYers making them?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  12. m1keh Forum Member

Diesel pulse adaptors are for the old school td's, the tdi only needs vag-com and the diesel pulse is picked up by the third injector to tell vag-com when injection is happening.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

+1 for vag com. I've check timing before with it. I think there's a tool to do it on there.

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ah Ok... happy to save 100+ for the adaptor.

Has anyone got a copy of VAGCOM 10.6.2? I bought a lead and the CD was corrupted. Seller has been removed from ebay, so I think I'll need to raise a dispute if I can't make it work.

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Do you actually need 10.6.2 for your lead? You can download it from ross tech site

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

The ad said I did. Maybe I can try the version 7 I've already got.

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think anything before that version may work. But you need to have TDi timing checker on it.

18. m1keh Forum Member

Don't use the ross tech software, apparently it can block your ebay device. PM me your email address and i can send you the 10.6.2 files.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks... Just saw that after I replied to your PM. Will PM you my email.

20. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Correct