TDI Engine into a MK1 Golf?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Jammy_GTI, May 7, 2008.

1. Jammy_GTI New Member

Hey Guys,

I commute to work, covering about 100miles a day, and need a car that's economical.

I have a corsa 1.5td [|)] , and it's fine for economy, but looks boring and is not amazing to drive. I also fancy a bit of a project to work on and would love another golf. my MK2 GTI was my pride and joy, but had to get rid of it because of the cost of commuting.

I have been thinking for some time how cool it would be to drop a lump out of something like a MK3 or MK4 1.9TDI golf into a MK1 shell.

The only problem is, I cant find any information on this. i've not seen any1 do it personally, but sure someone, somewhere has.

My questions are?

- What work would be required to make the engine fit?
    - what other work would be needed for the conversion? (other than the obvious wiring).
    - What would be the best engine to use interms of physical size, longevity, reliability, power, easy of working and economy, etc.

Cheers for your help guys!:)

2. rupe Forum Member

Plenty of caddys running them, maybe have a look over on the caddy forum?

3. Admin Guest

have a look in members motors under crispy8v, he has installed a deseased lump into a mk1

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

fair amount of work matey!

mounts bit of problem, I'm running mk4/ mk 1 combi deciding which g.box, then hydraulics

in the way of an engine I've seen over 200k miles on them-others wiped out at 20k!

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Mate has a Caddy with a 1.9TDi from a vento bit of a "what goes where?", no idea what hp model, but it is a beast! It suits the Caddy down to the ground, he's just after bringing a half-ton milling machine for a 45 minute drive and it didn't even sniff.
    The fella who did it (sort of a half-professional mechanic, but doesn't know his veedubs too well) says it was an easy conversion (it was a diesel already). Just a glow plug button on the dash, start it up and off you go... he's gone through three driveshafts already...:lol:

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

According to Steve ' I know it all but I talk utter sh*t' Cresswell there's absolutely no point in doing it whatsoever end of conversation.

According to me, go for it, it's well worth it if you you want a torquey mk1 ;)

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Ah, Mr. Crasher "I didn't get knocked out cold by a customer"? Cresswell?
    I can tell you it is WELL worth it, that Caddy goes like sh*t off a shovel (no wastegate yet!) and according to the fella who did it, wasn't hard - no harder than a normal engine swap except he had to dick about with the downpipe a bit. And beat a dent in the bulkhead.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And if you persist in saying that I did, I will sue!!!!

9. Hotgolf

What, Sue?????!!!!!

Yes JR, I'm Sue Ellen your ugly drunken slutty wife......Hurumf!

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol - he can try the courts all he likes, I've never lost a case yet (in 13 years)... maybe because my lawyer eats like water and doesn't get beaten... costs awarded to the defendant, 1900 to the court, 12,000 to the defendant...

11. Hotgolf

lol Nice one :)

Anyway, back to subject, go do it and don't look back. The other half(ex) had a 150 pd and by fook did it go well for what it was. With a rechip it would have p155ed over our 225 TT! It wasn't far off as it was.

12. Rubberdubber Forum Member

Some stuff on here may be of interest to you; http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=162328&highlight=mk2+tdi
    I also am the one who wrote to Steve Cresswell to ask what the hell he was on about saying Dieselsm in Mk1s and 2s would "Shake your teeth out", answer in May's Golf+ but I think we've rubbished everything he said anyway on the post above, he obviously just hates diesels, doesn't know a good thing when he sees one.
    Not sure if you can tell me what the comments above are about, did someone shake his teeth out by any chance?
    Cheers
    Rubberdubber

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

According to rumour, he laughed at a customer and said customer floored im with one punch...:lol:
    I don't even like diesels at all, but this Caddy pulls like a train. Towed my Golf and trailer 60 miles without hint of a problem.

14. Jammy_GTI New Member

Cheers guys. didnt mean to start an argument! lol. [8(]

will have to see what finances are like,

I like to think of myself as a pretty competant DIY mechanic, i used to build rally cars for a living and not had any problems so far with major jobs i've attempted, so labour will be free ;) plus will enlist the help of a fellow dubber.

do love the idea of a mega-torquey Mk1. [:D]

How much you recon the total cost of the conversion will be after the purchase of the eng, box and car? and what else will i need to purchase/fabricate?

J.

15. prof Forum Addict

total cost, probably double your initial estimate [:D]

16. Jammy_GTI New Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking so i doubled what i recon'd. it always seems that way.

so does that mean that it'll be 4 times my initial estimate? lol[:s]

I recon it'll probably be cheaper to get a MK4 TDI golf and just be content with that for the time being. then it'll be ripe for a superchip, exhaust and slamming on it's belly with some nice rims i guess ;)

J.

17. gti8v Forum Member