TDI FAQs, idle fuel adjustment video and vagcom guides

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by LregG, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dubnutter Forum Member

oops, vcds 1.1 :lol:
    no tdi timing checker plug in

2. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Or Alton in hants for the timing check If that's closer than Windsor?

(Salisbury eh...I had a few decent night's in enzo's a while back)

More info on the fuel filter...the rover 600 filter is the same as a pre 87 golf diesel, 6.60 each including vat from gsf (this might be a trade price though)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. Dubnutter Forum Member

Alton is closer, we should start a tdi meet lol

Im currently sat in my car now trying to adjust IQ

4. LregG

I tried adjusting mine through vagcom and it made little difference...the proper way is in the video above

5. Dubnutter Forum Member

Old IQ value was 128 @ 2.4-2.6mg, New value 120 @ 3.2 mg

That sound ideal?

Idle is slightly smoother, now going for a test drive so we shall see how it drives.....

6. LregG

I stand corrected then :)

Done well, spot on...I might try mine again then as I was a vagcom Virgin when I attempted it last lol

7. Dubnutter Forum Member

Lol. I love this engine. Pulls to 110 no problems. Im just trying to get it oem and serviced before i swap it to a 3 door shell. Im currently working on a oem cruise stalk for the mk3 based on a passat tdi stalk that can be bought cheap. Will report how its going soo in the cruise thread.

She purrs like a walrus now :lol:
    Just need to sort the imobiliser issue.

8. LregG

Is it anymore responsive?

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

Ok test drive over.

Car feel slightly more urgent under acceleration, even with what appears to be a small boost leak, and is noticeably smoother.
    Idle now sounds smoother and less of a knocking sound.
    car pulls clean and hard through 1-3 gears, with plenty of the right turbo noises.

4th and 5th gear have less pull, and the boost sound is erratic like the turbo is cutting in and out, i need to get a boost gauge on it to see if its a fluctuation in boost, or just sound being drowned out by air speed under the car.

Either way, a 44 mile round trip trying all types of driving style have hardly moved the fuel gauge. Pointing to slightly better fuel economy.

So it seems I am slowly getting through the minor issues one by one :thumbup:

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

I agree... it's definitely tractor-esque :lol:

So, given that it's probably been abused or at least neglected for years, I'm thinking of going for the BG injector cleaner, as you say it's pretty aggressive, and would possibly have more chance with gummed up old injectors?

I did notice that most of the 'diesel cleaner' fluids seem to claim a lot of benefit from cleaning out the cat... given that mine is 'modified' I'm not expecting a benefit from that

Any thoughts?

11. Dubnutter Forum Member

So modified 'read' not there any more :lol:

You need to try a set of injectors really to see if it cures it.

The problem with alot of cleaners is that they improve the cetane number, this is good for performance, but it masks a problem by just giving the fuel more bang.

I would chuck some bg through, i bought mine from kwikfit for 20 quid but i guess its probably cheaper elsewhere. I was advised at the time to dilute it to a min of half a tank, but to be honest I ran it through on quarter of a tank with some VMAX diesel to make sure the lubricity of the fuel was still maintained.

If injectors were easy enough to remove, I would suggest removing my injectors and trying them in your car to see if it cures it. If it does then its conclusive and worth investment of a set.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

'Modified' = with a big hole saw up the middle.

I was passing Halfords tonight, so I bought some Millers stuff and chucked in half the bottle (250ml rather than the 50ml dose). It does seem to be running a bit smoother. The idle is still lumpy but better than it was, but who knows whether that's down to cleaning effect or just improving the fuel, as you said. It's only done about 6 miles with it in, which I'd have thought was far too soon for a real difference.

Trouble with swapping injectors, is that 2nd hand replacements could be just as bad... I did consider sending them away, but I need to put one of the other cars on the road first.

The Millers additive was 10.39 on the trade card (Vs 12.99 to Joe Public).

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

The millers stuff is really good. Always worth trying that first, i used to dose a whole bottle to a full tank of vmax. Works a treat.

If the injector(s) are out of balance, or the pop pressures are out of spec, millers obviously wont cure it. Could do with a comoany that can turn around the injectors in a day.

14. LregG

I have a spare set of injectors that came from a sweet running 100k engine that you could try if you can get yours to move mike

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Oh they'll come out for sure. They were all off about 3000 miles ago, when I had the head off.

16. LregG

Let me know then mate, i don't mind them getting used for diagnosis purposes:thumbup:

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Cool thanks - I'll see what happens with the injector cleaner over the next couple of weeks and figure out when I can head down and pick up the injectors.

18. LregG

we could throw them in here and see if they improve your idle quality....wouldn't take long at all

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Cool... will do a few hundred miles and then give you a shout. I'm snowed under with work and projects at the minute. Do you have a space we could do the swap in, or should we do it at mine?

20. LregG

Go through a tank of fuel and see if you have an improvement and we'll sort out the when and where after that?