TDi injectors

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Tim010, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Tim010 Forum Member

The girlfriend's Mark 4 TDi 130 had its service at VW yesterday. Whilst doing the service they noted that there is a slightly lumpy tickover and diagnosed injectors 1 and 4 as being at fault. They said it is not an urgent issue but could need attention in the future.

With reference to price they quoted about 1100 for the repair which includes fitting. This seemed very expensive but apparently each injector is about 380 from them. This seems very expensive and I wanted to check that this is the rough price of each injector for the car.

Thanks in advance.
    Tim

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine eventually got a wobbly idle. it was like that for a few days, i put some millers injector cleaner through it and it was eventually cure it.

3. Seraph Banned

They are indeed that expensive.

The price of technology.

4. Tim010 Forum Member

Oh joy! Thought that may be the case and I guess whoever does the work on it will have to buy the injectors from VW anyway so it is gonna cost close to 800 for the parts alone. Will try some injector cleaner though in the first instance to help it out.

Tim

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

make sure you get something decent like millers though

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

find the part number of the injectors, think i have some from a near new head, think they'd done under 5k miles

7. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Change the fuel filter and fill it with injector cleaner before refitting to give an intensive burst of cleaning power. Pour the rest into the tank and see how you get on.

Whats the mileage of the car? I know the Euro 3/4 spec injectors can be quite delicate in terms of tolerances but the injector nozzles would the first things to go.

Have a look on http://tdiclub.com, they have a good faq section and know a little more about the derv mobiles.

8. Noworriesvw Forum Member

Do not use injector cleaner on the PD engine.. you'll damage the injectors.. try replacing the wiring loom inside the cylinder head first before replacing the injectors themself... most common problem..

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i used millers cleaner on mine. the idle started to get wobbly so i found the millers stuff. you add a couple capfuls per tank etc and it cured it within 2 tanks i think, and i carried on using it (bought about 3 more bottles before selling the car) so used it for atleast 2-3k miles.

i know a lot of people on the briskoda site that use it too. ive not heard of any so far 'damging injectors with cleaner'

why would cleaner damage them?

10. Supercharged Forum Member

Erm - yeah check the loom! (I assume VW did this but they can still test out ok and break down at high temp under load)

Re. the injectors, I have also read that the cleaner is not recommended as the fuel lubricates them, better off getting them ultrasocically cleaned at a Bosch service centre really...

Also, if you need to replace 2 it's likely you will need all 4 as they way they usually go wrong is due to crap fuel!

11. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'd always go with the loom first, with a possibility of an injector (in your case 2)
    as every one has said don't be using injector cleaner in PD injectors, there so sensitive it's amazing!
    as supercharged's says loom plastic breakdown in the hot oil & have on many an occasion caused a miss fire, chances the VW tech has put the wiring loom on the order/parts list as well ;)

when I first got mine i ran 'supermarket' fuel, and had is missing/vibrating from cold. no stored faults. started to use shell diesel-not seen problem since!