TDI PD Won't start following turbo replacement

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by veedubnutz, May 23, 2011.

1. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Ok, bit of a weird one for you but I'm pulling my hair out....

Background for you... I have a passat TDI 1.9 AJM(early 115 PD), which the turbo failed on - the impeller had touched the housing so was in a bit of a state, and making quite a bit of noise. So, following a stream of bad luck, including the replacement turbo number 1 being duff, I fitted another replacement turbo yesterday having cleaned the turbine side of the housing. Checked it all over and fired it up, worked for about 30 seconds until it chugged to death, now it won't start. I noticed that I'd connected a vaccuum hose to the EGR actuator which caused it to open fully, which would explain why it died, but having removed that it still wont go.

Plugged VAGcom into it yesterday and it's coming up with the following code when cranking:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1
    Sunday, 22 May 2011, 17:35:55.
    Control Module Part Number: 038 906 019 CD
    Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 1042
    Software Coding: 00002
    Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
    VCID: 5BC9146FDA2B
    1 Fault Found:
    19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal Out of Range
    P3008 - 35-00 - -

Now this would explain the non-starting, but whyt he hell would this suddenly have failed? Seems very odd to me.... Can anyone point me in the direction of this sensor coz I can't bloody find it. Either that, or can someone shed light on why this might have happened? I'm nearly at the point where I'm gonna scrap the f*cking thing [:x]

Oh and PS. It does moan after cranking for a while that it has low oil pressure, but I guess thats to be expected as it's not run for a while etc.

2. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

3. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Oh, and, can anyone furnish me with a diagram of the Vac system on one of these cars? I need to make sure it's all hunky dory too. I have the turbo actuator connected to the N75, but what else connects to that as theres another outlet? There's another small valve at the top of the engine too which I beleive should connect to the anti shudder valve, does this connect to the N75 too?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id pull the connection and plug the hose for the EGR as that caused me a lot of hard start head scratching on mine.

5. m1keh Forum Member

I'd say you've probably disturbed the wiring plug for the crank sensor whilst fitting the replacement turbo. I think It should be on the front of the block just to the right of the oil filter housing etc. Follow the wires from it up to the plug. The n75 should have a connection to the airbox, a connection to the vac pump and a connection to the turbo actuator.

6. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

The airbox?? Really? Why? Theres a vac pipe that goes to the carbon canister so im guessing thats the one.

7. m1keh Forum Member

The pipe that goes to carbon canister or airbox is just to make sure that no dirt goes into the n75 when it changes position to let atmospheric pressure in. If it got blocked up then the valve wouldn't be much use.

8. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Do you know which port what plugs into? Assume the vac pump feed goes in the top, but does it matter which goes to where on the underside?

9. m1keh Forum Member

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

if your turbo gave up, did it loos any oil in to the sytem?

by default if the vacumm lines are left off ASV and EGR all rest in a engine start position
    with 30second of running is there any oil in the intercooler or the exhaust coaking the breathing of the engine??

11. TDB86 Forum Member

TBH i have a feeling the timing may be out on it but it is getting checked on thursday so will hopefully know something by then

12. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Seems odd though that it would jump[:s]

13. m1keh Forum Member

If the old turbo blowing filled a cylinder with oil and hydrolocked it that may make the timing jump.....