Technical Help Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Mk5teve, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Mk5teve

Mk5teve New Member

Hi all,

It's me again!

I could do with some technical help from some of you people who know their way around a car!

Basically, the GTi cut out as I was leaving town this evening:thumbd:. I was driving along and completely lost power and the engine died:cry:. The car then sat in the road for a good half an hour with me intermittantly turning it over. The starter motor was turning over fine and all the electrics were working. Eventually it started again and I managed to get it home.

About 20 mins later, a mechanic mate came over to have a look at the battery and tested it and it seemed to be working fine. He said it could do with getting changed soon but it shouldn't be having an effect on the car. We then came to the conclusion that it had to mean that fuel wasn't getting into the engine. We checked the fuel pump fuse and it had gone. We went to put a new one and as it contacted the fuse blew. Thinking it was just a **** fuse, we put another one in and the same thing happened. We then disconnected the battery and put a third new fuse in. When we reconnected the battery the fuse blew again![:x]

I have had a quick browse on the internet to see if it is a common fault but there only seems to be one recorded similar incident that I could find and there was not a follow up letting everyone know how they had solved it!

Is this anything anyone has come across before or have seen similar instances on other ages or models/manufacturers?

I am going to give VW a call to see if they have any idea what it is but thought I would see if you kindly, helpful fellows had any idea what it could be or previous experience before I spoke to them... Any advice would be really appreciated as I would like to have a little bit of background knowledge before I send it to VW blind!

Thanks,

Steve

2. Mk5teve

Mk5teve New Member

Ok, so we may have solved it...

Took the rear seat up to have a look at the fuel pump and found that the plastic part of the wiring had melted!

Have ordered one from VW 80+vat to see if it solves the problem. I am hoping that it is just this that needs replacing and not the whole fuel pump!

Part gets delivered into the dealer on Wednesday so hopefully the old girl will be up and running again by the weekend!

3. Adam Collins New Member

Did you get your car sorted? Have you tried taking it to your local garage, where they can connect a diagnostic tool to your car that runs a system check & tells you what part is at fault. Same thing happened to me, turned out the camshaft sensor was faulty, so i found this company on the internet called What Part that found my sensor, only cost me 20.00 & they delivered it aswell.