Temperature Guage Sensor removal

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by daveangel, Nov 29, 2010.

1. daveangel Forum Member

Hi all need some advice. I have a 1991 8v and my temp guage stopped working so i bridges the contacts on the black plug and the guage works so have bought a new sensor. Can anyone tell me how I remove the dudd one? I've popped the clip off but not sure if it screws out or if it pulls out etc. I can't see a thread on the replacement sender but i don't want to go breaking anything so any advice would be welcomed cheers - Dave

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

It's just pushed in and retained by the clip. They get a bit stuck in over time. Give it a twist and a wiggle, and it'll come out.

3. daveangel Forum Member

Ok cheers will do thanks for the quick reply

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

They can be a real pig sometimes, but since it`s a duffer anyway, don`t be afraid to get medieval with the pliers, just be careful not to bust the housing (if it`s plastic.)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

and make sure you swap the seal over to the new sensor, it might come out stuck to the old one or stuck in the housing. i find its easier to fit the seal to the sensor then fit to the housing

6. daveangel Forum Member

Cheers guys all sorted now got my temp guage back at last.