Tensioner - type confusion

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MJA, Jan 31, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

When I bought my car the tensioner fitted was the one with my finger on. I had assumed it was an auto tensioner as the car is an 2.0 16v ABF block and head under KR fuelling.

I have since replaced the tensioner and belt (not the stud) with an auto tensioner (the same as the one in the picture without my finger on)

Looking again at what came off the car I can see the diameter of the hole that goes over the stud is larger than the auto tensioner - M10 rather than M8.

I assume the stud on my engine is for the auto tensioner so that is all good, but is actually possible/practice to run the KR non auto tensioner over the M8 stud? I don't want to do it - just want to know how bodge tastic the previous owner was with this cambelt.

Cheers
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

in theory you have less surface area under the smaller nut washer which could cause issues. but in reality nothing happened, everything was fine. still wouldn't recommend it though :lol:

3. MJA

Phew! Learning a lot with this job.

I also noticed the washer N 01224110 was missing between nut and tensioner. I have found the tension on the auto tensioner looses tension (moves to the right of the indicator) after 5 mins of running. I've bought a replacement tensioner (pictured and hence the comparison this morning) but it probably just needed the washer.

Didn't spot the washer when I was looking at part diagrams originally and there was never one on the car, well there probably was one holding the non auto tensioner as i can see the outline, but the chap that did the cambelt change probably lost it. Odd how if you think something is not right it probably isn't and that has been the case with this saga!

4. MJA

Just a little update - i swapped out the tensioner for a replacement. I found there was actually a washer installed but it wasn't the same sort of washer I bought from AVS - looked to be just a plain old flat washer. The tensioner probably was OK but didn't trust it anymore.

Ran the car for 20 mins at idle and few revs. Turned it on and off a few times. All good and it's holding tension. Hopefully it will continue to hold when i check tomorrow morning.