TFSI Tuning Comparisons - What goes on inside

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by m1keh, May 5, 2015.

1. m1keh Forum Member

So interest got the better of me over the weekend and I wanted to get to know a bit more about the settings that various K04 tunes run.

Below is an overview of what I have found - I hope others find it interesting.

Firstly I went out and collected a set of logs from my Entirely Stock S3 according to these guidelines by APR.

http://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php
    (For anyone wishing to do similar I would change the 103-1 Current Fuel Pressure channel to "inlet air temperature" - This will show if your heatsoaked or intercooler is inefficient etc)

The above confirmed to me that my car was in reasonable health. A generic HP = airflow/0.8 came out at an optimistic 274hp as an average over 6 runs... From a car which should be 265hp standard. Along with the good MAF reading, boost matching setpoint, Fuel Pressure controlled well, minimal timing retardation and no missfire's logged, I was happy that my car was in good health.

Then I hit this goldmine thread of logs from a Badger 5 TFSI dyno day - thanks again to Bill and everyone who took part and created this data set.
    http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=392011

Headline Figures copied here to give an idea of what the different stages offer in terms of torque and power - note some anomalies.

Code:
    name	          bhp torque map
    badgerwagen	369.6	351.3	REVO2
    Mat Holman	 361.7 333.7 REVO2+
    Andrew Connelly	347.4	323.8	REVO2+
    david cheung	345.9	338	APR2+ map1
    Scott Ferrar	345	301.3	REVO2+
    david cheung	344.4	359.3	APR2+ map2
    mark cousins	341.5	333	APR 2+
    rick humphreys	304.6	333	badger5 stg1
    quintin rose	271.8	287.1	REVO1

TFSi sorted torque max to min
    Code:
    name	          bhp torque map
    david cheung	344.4	359.3	APR2+ map2
    badgerwagen	369.6	351.3	REVO2
    david cheung	345.9	338	APR2+ map1
    Mat Holman	 361.7 333.7 REVO2+
    mark cousins	341.5	333	APR 2+
    rick humphreys	304.6	333	badger5 stg1
    Andrew Connelly	347.4	323.8	REVO2+
    Scott Ferrar	345	301.3	REVO2+
    quintin rose	271.8	287.1	REVO1

So I then got out excel and started making some comparisons.

Firstly Requested Boost
    [​IMG]
    Actual Boost
    [​IMG]

So here we can see as I would expect - higher stage of tune = higher boost levels. Worth Noting however the Revo Stage 1 car did not make it's requested boost - and ended overall with a low HP Figure - points to some kind of hardware issue on this particular car.

Second point worth noting is the APR 2+ map has a much larger boost spike in the middle leading to the higher torque figures seen - although the requested boost doesn't ask for this spike. This would translate into a mid range kick feel whilst driving which some drivers may like.

Then Onto Rail Pressure
    [​IMG]

Only specified rail pressure plotted here for illustration - most of these cars are very close the specified value so I did not feel the need for another graph.
    Interestingly though the "APR 2+" data I had to plot here is much lower than a Revo tune. Even though APR Specify the need for the upgraded HPFP for 2+. The Revo 1 car undershoots it's target by around 4 Bar in the mid range- showing it is on the limit of the standard pump. Hence why the upgraded pump is needed for 2+

And finally for now Ignition Timing - Only a few logs here as thats all the data I have.
    [​IMG][/URL]

From here we can see that Most stage 1 tunes aren't moving the ignition timing away from stock - and I imagine most stage 2 cars would also be fairly similar. However the Stage 2 car logged here was running water meth which will drop the IAT's meaning that the advance can be pushed further before knock.

Lambda Comparison for the Top 4 cars here.
    tfsi-max_bhp_comparisons.jpg

I hope this has made interesting reading for some of you.

If anyone else has good data-logs to add in to the above I am happy to stick them in. A stock K03 set of APR style logs would be nice also to add in so we can see where a MK5 Gti sits.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Toyotec likes this.