The A6 died last night

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by jonk710, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Heading home from a course last night and felt the a6 lacking power then seems to gain it back and takes off!
    Not a nice drive down the dualer.
    The battery light came on and the car died and I drifted onto the side(no power/ no power steering, nothing) of the road where it would not start again.
    All the dash lights work and the headlights etc so unsure why the battery light would come on?
    The car is a 56 plate A6 2ltr TDi and hopefully still at the side of the road. I'll going back to the course this morning so will check on my way up the road.
    \I'm no mechanic but could it be the alternator? If so what kind of money to repair?
    Thanks.

2. Collie Forum Junkie

low power could produce those symptoms. can you take a fresh battery up to the car and swap it over. and a multimeter to check the alternator output while its running.

guess your not in aa etc if you had to leave it there.

3. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Well, the garage started it up this morning but it cut out again after 20 yards. They towed it up the road and had a look over it.

It seems that numpty here has put petrol in it instead of diesel..:clap:
    I'm positive it was diesel as I always check the pumps incase i'm putting v-power diesel in which is too expensive. I took the golf up today and put petrol in it at the same pump but a differant nozzle???

If anyone is from aberdeen can they go to the Shell garage at Burger King please and check Pump 6, it was the nozzle nearest the kiosk I used.

Only 3 things to describe me at this moment. 1. Relieved it's not an engine failure with a massive bill, 2. [:o)] & 3. [:$]

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just think yourself lucky you didn`t do it with a brand new Merc. 9000 this costing apparently... :o

[​IMG]

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

One of the labourers at work did the same to the works van
    We gave him the name Kevin vanpetrol for a bit

So don't feel to bad about it
    Will have a look next time I'm at burger king

6. oldskooldub Forum Member

I worked at a KIA dealer years ago, over the space of a weekend we recovered loads of cars with the wrong fuel, it turned out that the local texaco had the wrong fuel in one of there tanks. The only customers who had a claim against texaco were the people that had a receipt for the affected pumps. Needless to say there were some pretty annoyed people.

7. steve-s-dub New Member

thats why i always get a receipt for my fuel...its not unknown for garages to have the wrong fuel in their tanks.

8. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

I went passed the garage the other day and checked the pumps, as I thought the diesel was at the opposite side that I filled the Golf up so am still 100% it was the diesel nozzle I used.
    I never take a reciet so I have no proof, will just have to live with the fact i'll never know and have learned a valuable lesson - always take a reciet.