The Cost of Stuff...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zender Z20, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Probably quite a few of you use Amazon and have an account.

What follows likely applies to any number of other on-line retailers too, so I'm not trying to single them out in particular.

Wanted to make a re-order of something (nothing special) that, as it turned out, I'd originally bought in mid-2021.

So, rather than hunt for it again, went back into my order history and found it.

Long story short it cost me £14 back then, today it's £24 for the identical thing.

Got me looking at other orders and it's the same story all over, the price of even basic stuff has doubled and quite often by even more.

The 'cost of living', as seems to be the favourite expression these days, or maybe just a bit of exploitation thrown in under the cover of it, I wonder?

I genuinely feel for someone trying to get a project off the ground these days, time was you could genuinely do it on a sensible budget if you looked after the pennies, but even that doen't seem doable any more.

Steffen likes this.
  2. daNpy Forum Member

I agree. Cost of living here in NL is also idiotic. House prices, energy prices, groceries, there is no relation for the increase of 10% to 100% for the same item.

Parts I want for the Golf but do not need yet - every year I wait they increase in price. Not by little, but by a lot.
    LSD last year 1250, price increase to 1400 (12%)
    Trackday Spa 625 price increased to 820 (31%) (Zandvoort is 880 for this year, it removed my willing to go actually).
    Membercard (which gives you some discount on trackdays but you need to drive many as there is no other advantage and every organiser has their own) 80 to 95 euro (19%).

The group of people that does not manage the price increases with these absurd percentages and only getting 3% pay raises (if they get) will become bigger and bigger ad they will not be able to do standard groceries, pay their house etc. According to the news over here, UK is ahead of that and there is a BIG group of people who are considered "poor".

Steffen likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Golf parts are still “cheap”. You should try buying for a BMW or Porsche, even after market.
    The problem is that there are wage increases, postal increases, packaging increases, raw materials, broadband charges, heating, etc etc. Everything has to be factored into the final price of a part.
    We now live in a much more expensive world, COVID and Putin (and Sadiq Khan who is to blame for everything) are to blame.

Cressa likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

"You should try buying for a BMW even aftermarket"
    upload_2024-1-17_8-6-7.jpeg

5. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

We are getting screwed at every twist and turn.

Just working out energy costs for my work as our deal ends this summer. Based on the current rates and our 2023 usage the annual spend will rise from 55k a year to over 100k. And people moan when they don't get pay rises...

Cars. Looking at a new m135i today as was at a bmw dealer with a mate who's mrs works there. Part out of curiosity, part as I have a vague desire to buy one in a year or so. 45k with no options, looked at pcp example. 4.5k up front then 580 a month for 4 years. And then after 4 years you either give them 20k or hand it back! Who tf can afford that in the current climate? Someone can - my mates mrs is silly busy registering new cars.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024