The Great Welding Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Savagesam, May 2, 2022.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

BOC bottle rental is horrifically expensive for home use, I ended up taking mine back.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. H8V

h8v Forum Member

In that case it's big apologies to you Savagesam!

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yeh, sorry Sam! I'm on lap top too.

5. Savagesam

Well I got some stainless rods as I’ve got some stainless to weld and that’s a whole new can of worms too!

First weld I was like ‘yesss!!’

6CE49F3A-4EE8-460C-9A29-B76939C935B9.jpeg

then I blew a hole… I’m really struggling to repair holes with TIG.

7BBDC647-20AC-484C-AD60-33A8D110A0F7.jpeg

5F4852E9-A35A-4075-B1B0-A9460249E14E.jpeg

But I persevered. It doesn’t seem to lay in like Ali does, bit weird. I prefer aluminium

6. Adamss24 Forum Member

Too much heat ! Lower the amps right down, try it at 35A and increase steadily to 40-45 Amps as you get more confident. You’re cooking the Stainless with too much heat. I cannot see how thick is the pipe you’re welding but I tell you, stainless is a lot easier to weld than aluminum!

7. Savagesam

Nope, I don’t agree. Ali is much is easier. This is with about 40amps. It’s 1.5mm

8. Adamss24 Forum Member

Probably you’re dragging on too long in the same spot ! Up your speed then…I found ally much harder than steel but you might be a natural!

9. Adamss24 Forum Member

Try and lay some beads on a flat plate, you should get nice color in the stack of dimes, what cfh you’re running at the bottle ? It’s definitely not enough gas shielding or too much heat…

10. davidut5 Forum Member

Yes, even i got some shiny welds, that is how they should be. I did my exhaust with stainless and after a while one weld cracked, did not use fill rod, almost none.

11. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Can anyone recommend a decent mig welder for a beginner? Id like to have a go at that but don't know where to start with DIY kit.

12. Adamss24 Forum Member

The Paton range is very good, they are made in Ucraina… alternately Jasic range is not to be sniffed at !

caddyboet likes this.
  13. Savagesam

It really depends on your budget. A shit MIG will make it 10x’s harder due to lack of control

Adamss24 likes this.
  14. Adamss24 Forum Member

Kemppi, cebora, do really good dependable mug welders but so does almost every decent manufacturer. I would look for a decent driving mechanism, a 4 rollers system will drive thicker wire very smoothly! Also get one with infinitely variable power and low amps, will make the difference when welding thin metal sheet…down to 16 Amps is what I will look for…power wise 180-200 Amps is what I would look for a welder nowadays, any less and it’s not powerful enough to stick thick plates and too much will require a tri phase unit. Inverter type welders are lighter and usually multi process …

HPR and caddyboet like this.