The heat killed my head liner !

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by pervinmervin21, May 25, 2012.

1. pervinmervin21 Forum Member

Update : after the steaming weather we have been getting i can confirm my headliner is still fully intact !

2. Oxb1l New Member

I thought I was all alone with my troubles :)

I fitted a used liner but in doing so the covering has fallen off so I'll need to remove it again :(

Bill

3. pervinmervin21 Forum Member

Dont bother with the original liner if you have already removed it, the material is pants, just get some carpet off fleebay and some trimfix glue and its a piece O cake !

4. dub303 Forum Member

+2. After battling with my original material, popping bubbles with a needle for hours on end, only for it to contract and pull itself out of all the recesses... Along with unavoidable wrinkles... I can confirm that the bin is the only place to stick the original material!

I removed it again and did the eBay stuff as above, not in car yet but SO much easier. Also did the sunroof panel, but got carried away and now have weird circular patterns from the metal panel. Would recommend giving this thought to achieve a smooth surface, but still looks good.

5. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

At the recent rolling road, just as I was boasting of my immaculate headlining and saying 'poke your head in and have a look' - It became apparent that my headling had in fact come down at the back! [:x]lol

Have any of you guys thought about some sort of textured spray directly onto the headlining rather than recovering it? I don't want to go to all the bother of doing this if it will come down again in a year..

My girlfriend has recently sprayed some plastic beer mats with some rubber/textured finish which came out really well. It hasn't worn or come off and looks good! Seeing as there is next to no sound insulation in that area anyway, I can't imagine it would make a difference if it wasn't carpet?!

Anyone have any similar ideas, or done this before?

6. pervinmervin21 Forum Member

Dennis unless you can safely remove all the glue from the affected area on both surfaces i would say a retrim would be in order, it is very easy to do your self in a few hours you just need a hand or 2 removing and refitting the liner !!!!

7. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yours looks great mervin :thumbup:

Great guide, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I found the acoustic carpet on Ebay, so will order a load of that i think.

How does the sunfroof lining come off then, as mine is still cream ?

8. Classy6 Forum Member

I just received this in the post yesterday:

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?...ducts_id=387&zenid=6r2a9qt0ihj3am3urpo51i1a91

Spent ages researching around, found that link above but wasn't a huge fan of the look of the acoustic material. After a while found out a few people on golfgti & mk4 forums has used the kit above. I went for it over the acoustic material as it's 3mm foam backed & material looks deep black & very good quality, the kit comes with x2 cans of their adhesive as well - which from reports on other forums does the job well.

Just to throw another option in the works lol I'll post some finished pictures up when I've finished but my headliner is abosolutely F***D so needs a lot of fibreglass repair, or maybe even a new one - bits broken off everywhere [:x]

9. Richard Mk2

Is it hard to remove the sunroof lining then ?

10. Classy6 Forum Member

The sunroof lining is held in by 4/5 metal spring insert clips at the front that just pull down with a little force, at the back there are 2 white clips that I'm unsure how they attach as mines been loose & rattling about ever since it came back from the body shop 4 odd years ago, though I would try wriggling it forwards & backwards until it disconnects itself from the metal panel. When the clips are loose, I just wound the sunroof fully open & popped it out the runners & pull it out the top of the sunroof.

It's not a difficult job to be honest mate :thumbup:

11. pervinmervin21 Forum Member

I used to use the backed lining when i worked for a sunroof company and you get an excellent finish with it, the problem with my liner was it was cracked and had holes every where and lots of glue lumps, so the thicker acoustic carpet not only covered all of these problems but also strengthened my liner and it was nice and solid to re-fit, just remember that when your trimming around the sunroof winder cover to leave some to knock/glue the edge to the sunroof trim, see my earlier piccys

12. pervinmervin21 Forum Member

piece of cake mate, but id advise with help holding the front up or it will come out like a broken biscuit !!!
    Also take care if you remove the 'B' pillar trim, remove the seat belt bolt the the trim slide up !

13. Richard Mk2

I meant the actual sunroof part mate ;)

I cant see how it comes out ?

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sunroof part is pretty easy, open roof part way then pull down on the front lip to unclip it from the roof. then fully open the roof while carefully pushing the inner panel forward. then you can remove the panel from above, it needs a slight bend to slip out of the guides but if you're careful you can get it out undamaged. refitting is reverse of removal, just be sure to bend the panel flat again once its fitted in the runners :)

15. Richard Mk2

Cheers R.J :thumbup:

16. Supakam84 New Member

I used the method in this diy too, and got the same results as everyone else. I did it in May this year and its definately holding up. (that reminds me I think its time to thanks him!)

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=228522.0

Im pretty sure trimfix would hold the original headlining material up, as its holding my carpet which is allot heavier and I cant see any signs of it sagging, even had a annoying frend tug at it.

Trimfix on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-TRIMF...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item1e71ea4f3f

Personally I would reupholster it like I did, rather than re-sticking the original kak back up, carpet headliner feels allot more solid, nicer to look at, and keeps noise out.

Id love to post some pictures up, but i dont actually know how to :[:s]

Good luck!