The KLF

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ben's16v, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Ben's16v Forum Member

Okay, so who was a KLF fan?
    (weren't they originally Dr and The Medics?...)

Just found It's Grim Up North - amazing record. Ranks up there with Moby's Go as one of the best early nineties dance records.

The White Room took a lot of getting used to when I was a teenager, but it's an undeniable classic now.

Then they went all nuts and became The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu. Then The K Foundation - did they do any records then?

It's all coming back now - going to have to dig out some Orb stuff too!

2. enc. Forum Member

I have the first album 1987 what the F*ck is going on.
    It was withdrawn a couple of weeks after release because of sample clearance issues. Its not a great album by any stretch of the imagination though its probably worth a few $$$ now :)

|In those days they were known as The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu or the JAMS. it was later when they whent commercial and became The KLF.

Nothing to do with DR and the Medics by the way.

3. Ben's16v Forum Member

Yeah, I remember them being the JAMS.
    They must've changed back to J.A.O.M.M in about 1993 then? Coz that's what they released a few records under around then.

Oh yeah, it was the Timelords! - they did "Doctor Who-o-o, Doctor Who!" - The Tardis. That was Bill Drummond.

That's what I meant all along, not Dr And The Medics.

4. enc. Forum Member

Here the one about Bill Drummond burning a 1000.000 in the name of art [8-}]

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I saw a video of that, all stood around chucking wads of fifties into the fire [:s].

6. Seraph Banned

think it was more like 1,000,000 not 1000.000!! ;)

7. greg s Forum Member

1987-1991: The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
    1987-1989: Disco 2000
    1988: The Timelords
    1988-1992: The KLF
    1993: The K Foundation
    1997: 2K

Awesome.

Bill Drummond's book, 45, is well worth a read and probably pretty
    cheap off Amazon now.

8. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

ahhhh.....old skool lol

takes me back [:D]

9. Ben's16v Forum Member

Have to get that book...

Didn't they nail a million quid to a board in the middle of a field too?

I remember the burning - they filmed it on some remote Scottish island didn't they? Something about some strange law making it legal?

Also heard that all stunts were faked....

10. Admin Guest

they did some nuts thing with an old army truck and some huge sub bass thing, made cows ill or something,

great band/group

11. Paul Forum Member

Love the KLF :) They got away with murder!! such as firing a sub machine gun (firing blanks) into the audience of the brit awards :p :p

For anyone thats interested heres the video of **3am Eternal** (Deleted, see post below :))
    Edited by: Paul

12. sportline Forum Junkie

my dad used to knock about with bill drummond about 30 years ago in liverpool. he was in a band that had 1 song and used to do the liverpool circuit. it was called "were big in japan" a kinda urine take i think.
    when he showed up on TOTP doing mu mu land i remember my dad saying that the long leather trench coat was the same one he wore 20 years earlyer in liverpool.
    my dad also remembers that he had a very young american girlfreind. Courtney Love who later married kurt cobain. she was like 15 at the time.

ye the 1 mil he burned was supposed to be then sold to a museum to cover the cost. i remember seeing footage of him trying to get interest and was just turned away evry time. i dunno if he sold it but he then stuck another million on a big board and blew it up with a fighter jet.

KLF rocked.

at the time [:$]

13. Admin Guest

cool vid [:D]

been an age since i have seen it

14. Paul Forum Member

Pleased you liked it :) heres another....

Its Grim Up North (right click and save as :))

15. Admin Guest

and another one [:D]

check out the mk2 in the vid :lol:

16. Paul Forum Member

Yeah! Seen it [:D]

17. Loadsa controversy over whether the money they burnt was real ornot though - I remember an article in the Guardian where they found the "remote Scottish boathouse" they were meant to have burnt it in - and there were the ashes of about 400 genuine cash there, along with a load of half-burnt photocopied notes........ [:s]

18. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

I remember watching the video years ago...huddled in a dark field chucking wads of money into a fire against a wall(?), giggling.

I heard a similar story as well, but then saw an interview/heard one of the pair talking a year or two back, saying it was real and that at the time it felt like the best thing they could ever do artistically, but now thinks that they were acting like a pair of t***s and wishes he hadn't done it.

(I bought a few singles back then too...[:$])