the thames this morning...

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by RIP-MK3, Dec 30, 2008.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

woke up this morning and our house was freezing, pipes had frozen so no water for cups of tea/shower etc [:s]

My house is about 500 meters from the thames and there is a little park in front of it , here are some ok one's I got, still practising at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im loving my new camera and photography :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Excellent photos - no-one would ever guess you've only had your camera five minutes. :)

Also, having a camera makes you think about what you see around you - opens your eyes to things you'd never notice before.

Guess us old hands are going to have some serious competition very shortly!

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers stella, I have found a decent book that explains how to get the best out of my camera, reckon it's worth a punt for a tenner??

link

really enjoying it, quick question - the little mirror that is inside the camera body, I touched it accidentally and it has a very faint grease finger mark on it. Is it safe to clean it with a computer screen cloth??

4. enc. Forum Member

touched it by accident :lol: get right in the way dont they :lol:

deffo DONT use screen cleaner on it.

nice pics by the way.

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well actually I took the body out of the bag, took the cap off the camera and then asked my GF to hold the camera who stuck her finger straight inside [:x] [:x] [:x]

the cloth I'm on about is a lint free jobby my GF got for her mac screen...

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I should find yourself a new GF if she's going to make a habit of doing that kind of thing ;)

Don't use any cleaning liquids on it. Get yourself a decent microfibre cloth, wash it a few times without using any softener, then it will be OK for very gently cleaning bits of camera. Or if you bought it from somewhere half-decent, like Jessops or Jacobs, if you take it back to the shop, they will probably do it for you.

Or ask Dave, or one of the more knowledgeable ones on here. I must admit to chickening out, and getting a mate to do a bit of dusting round my mirror/sensor, as I'm far too accident-prone to start doing stuff like that myself!

Yes - for a tenner, get yourself a field guide. They are usually written in plain English, or more likely American English and will be more understandable than English-as-translated-from Korean, or whatever flavour the original was translated from.

I have one for my D70. Not the same author, but still a far better bet than the manual.

I've actually bought one for the D300, so that by the time I can afford the camera, I will know a bit about it!

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers, what about a little cotton wool bud? as it will be easier than sticking a microfibre cloth in there!!!! those pics above were taken after she poked her finger on it so its taking pictures ok, might wait till I go shopping in jessops and get them to do it at the same time

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Noooooooooooooo! Cotton buds will lose fibres, then you'll be even sorrier! Get the m/f cloth and cut it into four, hem the edges, so they don't fray and spread bits about, stick it in the washer when you do your shirts or whatever, a few times, then it will be fine - and small enough to dab the mirror with. Get yourself an air-brush (Jessops/Jacobs) to then blow any remaining bits of dust/cloth/whatever out, as you hold the camera facing downwards.

Or go to Jessops.

The finger print won't show on your pics becuase at the critical moment, the mirror is lifted out of the way so the light can hit the sensor, but it's still not a good idea to have grubby bits on the inside of your camera. Grease will attract dust, then you'll have bits falling on your sensor. It's not a major disaster, so don't panic, but it's better off not there.

9. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

to echo stellas comments, they are great photos, you couldn't guess you'd only just got the cam.

I saved this one:

[​IMG]

but played around with it, hope you don't mind Leon!

[​IMG]

currently saved as DSC00408-1, but want to put it in my photos folder, what should I name it? :lol: what's the park/lake......

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you could name it the little park at the end of Leon's road ha ha

Or the 'Thames at Sunbury'

11. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

sunbury it is, ha - it's in your profile on the left<<<< FAIL! :lol:

12. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Cool pics, pity they are of the stinky old Thames though!