The World's Ultimate Spanner - Guaranteed !

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Tall Paul, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tall Paul Forum Member

2. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

50 for the spanners and 80 for the socket set seems really good value

3. JWYATT Forum Member

Snap-on all the way , wouldn't risk or trust anything else :)

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I have a set of Jonnesway combination spanners (Identical to the Uniwrench at the jaw and the ring end) and they're the best spanners I've ever used, even better than the Britool, King Dick and Snap-on we get at work.

The spline type ring works really well (and does work on all sorts) while the open end amazed me with what it would undo. I had a 10mm nut on a motorbike that had been seriously rounded off (normal ring spanner just turned with no effort) but the jaws on the Jonnesway spanner gripped perfectly.

The quality on the Jonnesway ones is top notch too. The Uniwrench looks so similar it's probably/possibly the same product - so they are good at that price.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

wait for halfords mob to chime in about their pro socket set:lol:

6. DEX

Given the choice I'd have a whole wall of Snap-on roll cabs, filled with only Snap-on tools, and my two staff would polish them daily.

However, since the missus would sulk if I sold her house to buy the tools I want I have to compromise. Given the choice between a really love Snap-on Ratchet, or an entire Halfords pro socket set - the ratchet on it's own isn't gonna get much done on the car...

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

A good quality ratchet with a decent socket set makes a big difference. I've got 2 swivel headed FACOM ratchets (a 3/8 and a 1/2" drive) 72 (I think) tooth ratchets mean you can often use them in tight spaces. Most of my sockets are Teng, which are good enough. The Teng ratchets are decent, but not top drawer.

8. DEX

I'm a great believer that *most* people will be happy with a "good" set of tools, and never notice a difference than if they had all absolute top drawer stuff. (Except in the bank balance)

I prefer the Jonnesway spanners (identical to the uniwrench) that I got free from work to the Snap-on spanners that I got free from work.

9. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I've only got a couple of snap on tools - the bottom half of my tool chest and a ratchet screwdriver, they're so much money but then they are the best of the best - fact and they come with a lifetime guarantee. I do have some blue point stuff too which is very good

10. JWYATT Forum Member

The trick two Snap-on is , buy it when your dealer is round with the promotion catalouge , i got set of 10-19mm spanners RRP is 280 , on deal at 99.99 !! its usally every week he is bring round the new leaflet with deals :p

Ok SOME stuff doesnt need to be snap-on , (thats the screwdrivers to use as a prybar at the same time :thumbup: )

Also last thing , i dont know how people use other than snap-on just the feel/shape of them is made to be used and they NEVER slip were as other rachtet have to much and just decide to change to do up so you just smash into something ,

Joe

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Exactly!!! If I was a full time mechanic, maybe I'd buy snap on, but for the amount of use they get, Halfords socket set, and a full set of Irwins are fine.

Those spanners do look quite good though and quite resonably priced, my old man has a set of Metrinch spanners that seem to undo anything that are quite similar. He's promised me them in his will:lol: