Thinking of getting a Mk6 GTI, advice etc wanted pls

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by D.O.D, Jul 8, 2015.

1. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Mk6 GTi, looking at 2011 onwards. Wondered if you could give me any comments - good or bad - from your experiences please. What to look out for, mechanically and/or body? Any general issues I should ask about etc.

Tend drive around 10,000 miles a year and keep cars for a fair time length too.

Thanks in-advance

F

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

BURNI has one and mentioned something about the timing chains stretching on certain models. His is an 11 plate and has a revised chain.

3. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks 1990. I'll ask if that's been replaced then. . . . is that an issue of the Mk6's do you know ? The one I'm hoping to view at the weekend has only done 24,000. I'll give BURNI a search.

Thanks again

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a Mk5 GTI which I bought blind on my way to a Trackday, I'm probably not the best at giving advice but it was Saturday or Sunday when I saw BURNI so it's fresh in my mind.

He had a Shark Performance remap done at GTI International and another member with a Mk6 had a Revo.

5. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Yea I managed to PM him, he mentioned his remap too - nice :)

6. boraboy Forum Member

Did he mention anything else, I'm also gonna be looking soon

7. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

I did quite a bit of research and most of the comments were about the chain tensioner issue, they were mainly on the 2009 - 2010 models (I was after the face-lift version) but after those years, the issue should've been resolved. The other comments I came across were more personal niggley ones, which I didn't pay much attention too as everyone has different preferences. Otherwise it's the usual stuff of check its history, gadgets all work etc. Oh, keep an ear out for road noise emitted by naff tyres but I didn't notice that :/

I test drove the one I saw yesterday, I really liked it! Feels nice all round, drivers position is nice along with the steering wheel, drove nicely too - smooth. There's plenty of room too including in the back, well I'm 5'6 and there seemed good leg and head space both in the front and back. Also a decent sized boot too. All in all much liked :)

8. boraboy Forum Member

Thanks D.O.D,

Been doing some research but you can never do to much ;)

Main things I've seen are creaking doors, noisey passenger window, rear camber wearing tyres

9. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

No I just did some in case I didn't get much response...But most of what I found/mainly read about was that chain issue, must not have used the right search words or not enough research carried out [:$] oops...

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

PM mat-Mk3.

He has a very clean, low mileage ED35 for sale.

11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

12. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Edition 35 has the better engine with no chain issues.

13. MartinrobGTi New Member

I don't think there's much to look out for, they're solid quality cars mate! I've got the late 2010 model and i was worried about the timing chain tensioner going on mine, but i revised it myself just incase, just bought a new tensioner and cover for it and problem solved! ???? i've also got a stage 2 revo on mine now which i got ag GTi international, and tbh remapping the gti is the best thing i've ever done! Could never go back to standard power now, just feels alot more alive now and how they should have been coming out the factory tbh! I started out with a bluefin superchips on mine when it was new as i could put it back to standard in a jiffy if i needed warranty work done. And then i switch from a stage 1 bluefin to stage 1 & 2 revo and never looked back! Oh, and also the manifold's are wuite common to go on them mk6's but i guess you cant just whip the bonnet open and have a look like lol