This is the week

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by kelvinc, Aug 15, 2010.

1. kelvinc Forum Member

Hi

Well a week ago I had a mk2 GTI 8v in lovely condition, its a 1990 H reg.
    I had a bit of a bump, done some front end damage. I cried too [:^(]
    I bet the insurance company will want to write it off, such a shame too, I will be gutted.

Just take care in the wet everyone.

Kelvin

2. nealey Forum Junkie

How bad is the damage? If its repairable and they write it off then buy it back and use the cash to repair it.

Alternatively dont go through the insurance if you dont need to and fix it using 2nd hand bits etc

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Exactly what i was going to say. :thumbup:

Its not really worth going through the insurance for a MK2, unless you have an agreed value over 1000, as they normally write them off as there too old.

Post up some pictures of the damage if you can and then we can get some understanding of the damage involved.

As long as the chassis legs are not bent then i cant see it not being repairable tbh.

Many people breaking MK2's atm, and things like slam panels, grills, bonnets, wings ect are all easily attainable :thumbup:

4. kelvinc Forum Member

Hi
    Thanks for the information guys.
    I am going to see if I can buy it back, should they write it off. I did have it valued at 1000, however I am pretty sure they will want to write it off. Even if I didnt repair it, there is some money in all the parts and the seats and door cards are mint.
    Kelvin

5. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

had same thing happen to me. 800 quote for repair. written off. bought car off insurance company for 100. spent 300 repairing it myself and the remaining 400 on a cam and exhaust :thumbup: seriously this can play out in your favour. even if they write it off and wont sell it to you so long as it gets 'nicked' before they collect it saves it from being scrapped. then strip + sell. or buy one with a dead chassis and start swapping relevant bits. just dont let the buggers send it to the crusher!

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Any pics yet Kelvin :thumbup:

7. theclash New Member

wait till you try and reinsure it though after the repair if it was cat c u need vic check new mot and some insurance companys insist on engineers report. insurance will cost more than the car will be worth