This new cheaper version of PS3

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by i.a.n.b, Oct 9, 2007.

1. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Whats the crack then? It wont play PS2 games, who cares I've still got a PS2! But whats the smaller amount of memory going to result in? Is it just less room for saved games etc?? Sorry but I don't have a clue! Not into all the technical rubbish these next gen consoles have, just like to play a few computer games now and again!:lol:

2. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

its simply to compete with the 360. i work in bb games and no one buys the ps3 so they are dropping the price. the slightly less memory doesnt make a difference, its unlikely you would use that much anyway just playing the odd game. if there has ever been a time to buy a ps3, now the time. the 360 has also dropped its price too though. going on sales alone, the 360 is MILES ahead of the ps3.

3. madmonkey Forum Addict

And the Wii is p*ssing on them all. (pun intended)

4. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

yup, were still sold out of the wii till xmas.

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

& the DS rocks!!!!

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

less memory? do you mean smaller hdd?

if the overall design is kept the same then it shouldn't be an issue as the ps3 is designed for you to be able to change hdd's. it's even in the manual i think with an easy access panel if you wanted to fit a bigger drive which i should imagine you can pick up fairly cheap.
    they're doing a slimmer and lighter version, maybe this is it.........

7. golf2 Forum Member

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Belive so![:$] What does that really mean in real life terms then, just less room for downloaded stuff and saved games?

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Its just like your PC.

Some have 40GB of storage some have 100GB etc.

I would put a big one in there to start as 40 is not alot but i dont really know how the PS3 uses it.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

I thought the cheaper model had some of the HD etc connections missing or am i getting confused with the 360?

11. mat-mk3

Not that i heard Mike.

The new 360 Elite has an HDMI socket if thats what your thinking?

PS3 still 300 for the cheap one![:x] [:^(]

12. WEZ

stop whinging, 300 is a bargain imo as it comes with a blu ray player, a fairly decent one at that

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Do many people actualy use the blu ray, pointless without a HD TV? & how much more will the films cost.

14. mat-mk3

15. WEZ

but the games are region free which is why lots of people are buying ntsc ps3's which will work over here, the games should work being region free and then you can buy american blu ray discs for cheaper and generally have better features............

16. andypaterson Forum Member

It's all to do with the 'Emotion Engine' so i believe. Without it, the PS2 backward compatibility isn't as good. not to do with HDD.

17. gorilly Forum Member

the real crack is they are having a job selling them, they are trying to match their competitors by lowering production costs to match prices.

all consoles sell at a loss, money is made back by games and extras. problem for sony at the moment is they are selling few consoles, few over priced games, barely any blue ray dvds (lets be honest the general public dont care and cant sport the difference - i know people who spent 3k on a 1080p tv and run it with an s-vid cable duh! but this is a great example if the public will buy a dvd, they will pay less for a normal one than blue ray)... when a few more 'must have' games come out it will sell

this is quite a good comparison... ps3 and 360... with unbiased images
    http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html

no one likes to develop for the ps3... as of yet

give it another 6 months or wait till after christmas, you will be able to pick one up cheap then

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  18. altern8 Forum Junkie

thatsa good link

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

That's the problem with bluray, who wants to pay double the price for another standard now that dvd's are getting so cheap & Joe Public like said wouldn't notice the difference apart from the hole in his pocket.

20. madmonkey Forum Addict

Anybody remember Sony and the Betamax? Or am I too old?