This weekend I built a 16vG60.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KeithMac, May 3, 2005.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Had enough of bits sitting around all over the shop so after dodging a few showers I managed to get the 16vG60 in one lump..

[​IMG]

Got the water injection side to sort out and re-fit the correct sized belt/pulley back on when I can get hold of one.

Went for a cheeky run in it this morning (finished at 9pm last night) and the clutch has chucked it`s dummy out just slipping when I hit WOT [xx(], looks like that`s next on the list.

Plus it`s running real lean on boost and rich at idle, I need to get a good custom chip sorted (or fit and map MegaSquirt myself?).

On the plus side it sounds mental, and running no re-circulation pipe it dumps boost rather loudly :lol:.

Got a few pics of the build up, will host them when I get time.

The gaffer tape is instead of an ally plate that I ordered 2 months ago but still hasn`t turned up.. and the breather is getting a lenght of tube eventually [:$]

2. greg s Forum Member

Good work :clap:

3. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

have u thought about a rising rate fuel regulator?

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Just noticed - Scirocco 16v Inlet - uber-rare - where on earth did you get one of those?

5. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

It's people like you that keep me skint all the time [:x] I haven't even got the itb's running yet and i'm already bored and having naughty thoughts about boost :lol:

Cracking job :thumbup:

6. greg s Forum Member

Scirocco 16v inlets. Some shady bloke on here used to sell them...
    Edited by: greg s

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Got the manifold off a real dodgey geezer :lol:

The fuel pressure reg on it is supposed to be a rising rate one, to be honest the chip that`s in the ecu isn`t much cop, was leaning out at 3k on n/a set up.

Need to find a good rolling road to map it.

Need to fit the water injection.

Need to sort out a clutch.

Need to get drunk [:D]

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good work Keith [:D]

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I think it`ll shift when it`s all sorted, and the sound is unbelievable, smiled this morning on the way to work and forgot about the weekend of arsing about trying to fine the righ belts etc.

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Nice work Keith!

I decided to get a KR completely rebuilt before putting together my 16VG60. The block is still at the 'shop being overbored and rebuilt with low compression JE pistons and godknows whatever. I also got them to do a bit of work on that rough looking 'flowed' 16V head I posted pics of on on here a few months ago. They've done a beautiful job of tidying up the ports, replaced the guides, and so on. I'm well chuffed.

I now want to get the car completely resprayed before I bother building the 16VG60 into it, so that I can get the engine bay done as well...

Feckin' cars - I need a cheaper hobby [:x]

11. Trev16v

Excellent mate - I think it is rather impressive that you're doing this on your daily driven car!

Must have a jolly old chinwag with you again at some point as I'd like to catch up on some of the little details.

12. Peter Forum Member

Top Job Keith, well done :)

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Will have to give you a ring, computers at my dads so I`m only online a couple of times a week.

I think if you can stomach the work I`d get the engine in and all the bits fitted and running before you get it painted, would be a shame to have to start knoking the bay about after.

The serp belt is too short, I`ve had to re locate the idler and buy the nearest size from halfords for the time being, think a 1350 long belt would be a good start on the 72mm crank pulley?

Also if you could mail me a pic of yout G60 PAS bracket it would be a big help, at the moment I haven`t got the pump mounted, doing that on Sunday.

14. Trev16v

Keith,

Do you just need a pic of the brackets themselves, or do you need to know how they're fitted..?

15. Trev16v

Which idler did you have to relocate? Do you mean the one that comes attached to the custom alternator bracket, or the idler attached to the G60 tensioner?

Also, you advising me to try to fit the bits into the 'bay before painting it reminds me of something. You know that custom triangular part that links the G60 tensioner to the idler wheel? Well I found that it wasn't possible to swing it down because the bolt for the idler wheel caught against the chassis leg, so I had to hammer that flat a bit. Is that the area where you had to make a 'modification'? Or did you have to modify the chassis anywhere else?

One other modification I know that I'm going to have to do in the engine bay is to modify it to accept a hydro pedal box, etc.
    Edited by: Trev16v

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The custom alt idler pulley had to be dropped down to the bottom alt mounting hole (with a slightly shorter belt) there was no way of fitting the supplied belt with the 72mm pulley on the charger.

I`ve gone for the idle pulley high on the bracket to get a better belt run around the water pump pulley.

Think the only bit of bodywork I had to alter was in the same place as yours, but you`ll be running an intercooler as well, may need more chopping?

17. Trev16v

Ah yes, I forgot about the chopping on the front crossmember as well :lol:

But was there anything you had to do to the main part of the chassis?

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The pic I need is of the block to LHS pump mounting bracket, should be a cast piece? according to ETKA all the other bits are the same as the 16v?

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Think it was just the crossmember and tensioner bracket clearance? Managed to keep the 16v belt covers on with a little chopping..

20. Cerberii Forum Member

Nice work![:D]

NA looks really boring when you see that.

Is the throttle hole in the scirroco manifold 3" circular? Wondering whether an ABF throttle body would fit it.