threads on vr6 conversion

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by nez1978, Jan 17, 2005.

1. nez1978 Forum Member

This is a question that may have been asked a million times, but for the record, and coz its 11.00 and my eyes hurt through reading through the material i've found on this site alone......

does anybody have any outside sites that have detailed descriptions of transfer methods for the VR6 engine into the MK2, and parts lists? I am going to take on this conversion with a friend who is actually a full time mechanic, he seems to feel confident about it.

I need inspiration from people such as Deako on here, my golf is currently sat on my mums drive, it upsets me to see it so dillapadated (crap spelling) and i want to change things starting with this conversion, hopefully ready for inters,

thanks in advance to all those who feel compelled to reply.

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Even though ive owned one previously, and am currently converting my Mk2, there are still things i dont know and have to call upon friends quite regularly.

The basics go like this:-

The best donor car is a corrado as you have the required radiator, fans, subframe, pedal box, airbox (if you want), front cross member (optional - means you dont need a custom front mount) and ancillaries.

Most of these parts will need sourcing if you choose another donor car.

Is there anything specifically you are unsure of?

3. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

By far the best guide I've seen can be found here. Enjoy :)

5. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Futrell site is good, however, it covers the conversion of a non gti model and lhd at that, it also includes ABS etc and a lot of what is told there doesnt apply.

7. nez1978 Forum Member

i'm with Deako on this, need a conversion done on a front wheel drive car. Where u up to on yours now deako, is it in and running yet?

Can u use the mk3 golf subframe? what different about the existing sub-frame and one that is swapped in from a car with a VR engine?

I'm already running full mk3 suspension at the frontjust still the existing mk2 subframe.

Can't believe 20vbullet is selling just what i need at the minute and i havent got the readies.

cheers for the replies people. ;)

8. nez1978 Forum Member

the exboard link ain't waorkin for me, have to do some searching