throttle bodies- whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by sife1, Dec 3, 2003.

1. sife1 Forum Member

"throttle bodies are not for someone who is after more torque really, more for the screamers/racers out there."

[:D]

Right is see, it'll have to be 2.0l for a bit of torque followed by throttles for that bit of extra rawness i like! Best start putting my pennies in the pot

2. prof Forum Addict

naaa a vr6 transplant will be cheaper and sounds more like what you are after

3. sife1 Forum Member

yeah but aren't they a bit heavy for a mk2?
    Cheers,
    i best go as got work to do.

4. vealige Forum Member

You can get a 2.0ltr bottom fitted at vagsport starting from 650. Thats what i'm going to get done in the new year. Talked to a lot of people and its well worth the money apparently. Especially if you use the KR cams as well as they are a little more wild.

5. sife1 Forum Member

where's vagsport? and how good, reliable, reputable are they?

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

[:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [xxx] [xxx] [:v:] [8(] [xx(]

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

lol, I was just turning the page thinking I hope Phatty doesnt read this :lol:

8. DarrenH Forum Member

the thing is, torque is directly proportional to cylinder fill. i.e how much air/fuel that you can fit in the cylinder during the intake cycle. with normally aspirated engines you reach a pinnacle where it wont physically suck in any larger quantities of air, how well the cylinder fills is described as volumetric efficiency. even on fully developed 2 litre touring car engines they see in the region of 190lb-ft which in some cases is verging on 100% volumetric efficiency (that pinnacle i was talking about earlier) if you consider a road going 2 litre will peak at 150lb-ft ish its not that much of an increase.

the only way to significantly increase torque is to either get bigger cylinders i.e bigger capcity engine, or you can cheat and get greater than 100 volumetric efficiency by force more air into the cylidners i.e turbo or charger.
    Edited by: 0ddball

9. prof Forum Addict

pretty much what i was saying but oddball said it better ;)

190lb-ft from a 10k touring car engine or 220lb/ft from a 1000 1.8t, hmmmmmmmmm now whats the best value there [:s]

i know if you hate turbo power delivery the better stick NA, but the graph of a 2.0 16v I have here vs a TT engine with revo software shows the TT having 100lb/ft more just about everywhere in the rev range
    Edited by: prof

10. sife1 Forum Member

sorry didn't mean to cause any offence Phatvr6!just the impression that i had
    cheers for all the physics mr oddball, much appreciated

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

But they are too heavy! :lol:

12. DarrenH Forum Member

having said that, torque isnt the be all and end all of fast cars. its just down to driveability.

13. mk1. Forum Junkie

167BHP at the moment [:^(] ive not had time to look into yet as its been a daily driver for the last 10 mths,its coming of the road this month,new fuel pump,inlet manifold and back on the rollers :p if things dont improve might go for a change in cams,its been 100% reliable apart from a duff spark plug,me mate never got his finished as yet,he`s replaced the gearbox and had it resprayed so we will both rebook some dyno time and see what happens :p

14. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

When my chipped Ibiza was running ~200bhp 220lb/ft and my Jetta was running ~200bhp 150lb/ft the faster car round Combe was the Jetta.

Faster engine response, and better top end....

Revs is the way atmo valvers get the high bhp numbers... as demonstrated well by V-Techs

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Ahh, but the jetta was the better handling car Bill ;)

16. trendy tramp Forum Member

17. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

LOL but you're right...

It 'was' :lol:

18. prof Forum Addict

more info about it

this is based on big cube V8s but should be of interest to Oddball

19. vealige Forum Member

Kent i believe, seriously long trip for me hence i've had to stall getting the conversion done. Their website is www.vagsport.co.uk. I found them very helpfull and informative, infact they answered all my questions and more.

Try posting on performancevwmag forum as quite a few people there have had the conversions done and i believe they are very happy with the work. Vagsport also posts on their as well.

20. prof Forum Addict

ask nuttinnew about vagsport ;) [xx(]