Throttle Position Sensor voltage Q.......

Discussion in 'Engines' started by 1990, Oct 27, 2003.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

In the old forum i think VRBanana told me to check the voltage of the connection to the TPS. There are 3 wires:
    1 x earth
    1 x 12v
    1 x info to ecu.

The 12v power wire only showed 5volts. Does this mean that the wire is somehow damaged?? Would this cause problems?

2. The Other Simon Forum Member

It should be 12V from the ECU.

If you are interested, the resistance of the TPS should be:
    THROTTLE POSITION (TP) SENSOR RESISTANCE TABLE
    Terminals Ohms Ohms

No&nbs p;At Idle&n bsp;Wide Open Throttle
    1 & 2 ............ 1500-2600 ....................... N/A
    2 & 3 ............ 750-1300 ........... (1) 3600 Maximum

(1) - Resistance should gradually increase as throttle is
    opened.

Simon
    Edited by: The Other Simon

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Ian, how many more threads are you going to start on this!?!?!?!

Just put it all in one thread!!!!

4. 1990

Simon, does this mean the 5v reading on the multimeter should increase as i press the throttle?

Paul, not many more, as soon as i get a new beather pipe and a couple of other standard bits its going to dubsport for a full medical.

5. The Other Simon Forum Member

Errm. Very confused about what you mean.

If you unplug the connector, the the readings I gave you are the resitance that you see when you probe the TPS.

If you turn the ignition on, you should see 12V on one pin of the connector, earth on a second and the thrid could have any voltage on it (being as the TPS is not connectored to it)

The resistance of the TPS should change as you press the throttle. If you measure the resitance of the TPS at the ECU, then VW list a different set of values.

Simon.

6. 1990

The one thats suppost to read 12volts only reads 5volts. Should it read 12volts all the time or should the 5volt reading increase as i press the throttle?

I am no good with anykind of electrics, i got electrocuted once when i got a slice of bread stuck in my toaster. I dont know how to measure resistance or make decent toast [:^(]

7. The Other Simon Forum Member

Yes it should read 12V all the time. I think.

To measure resitance, turn the knob on your multimeter to ohms, plug the leads into the right sockets on the multimeter. You can check it by holding one probe in each hand - you should get a few megaohms of resistance (depending on how sweaty your finger are).

It's a bit of a fiddle getting the probes onto the pins of the TPS, when they face down, at the back of the engine.

Remember to put the mter back into voltage afterwards...

Simon.

8. PeteVR6 Forum Member

It should be 5 volts mate,not 12.When I had a running prob with mine I went down this route checking the tps and mine only had 5 volts supply from the ecu.On most modern injection systems the ecu only supplies some sensors with a 5volt supply as they are only for signal purposes,not for carrying high voltages through,i.e. variable resistors-TPS,coolant temp sensor-usually sensors which vary resistance to give the ecu a small but accurate voltage reading.Thats not to say that the TPS isnt faulty though!I fyou need one to try I have a spare.In the end mine had a faulty Hall sensor which had caused a serious lack of power and wouldnt rev(a common problem i was told by Awesome).I changed it and its been perfect since.

9. 1990

Pete you need to get yourself a sig, are you the black vento or the green golf???

[edit]Black Vento!!! Any chance you could bring it along on saturday? You seem to know your stuff about the old vr's, i'll let you have a blast in mine and see what you think[end of edit]

What did awesome charge you, did you have them run a diagnostic check or other stuff???
    Edited by: 1990

10. 1990

I need to have a go in a standard vr6 so i know what to expect, maybe mine isnt as slow as i think, maybe i was just expecting too much from the vr???

11. PeteVR6 Forum Member

Black Vento mate.I will be there tomorrow.I'll take you for a spin if you like.Its not standard though,has a ramair induction kit,2.9 gas flowed throttle body,supersprint de-cat and sebring stainless.I dont know whether its up on standard or not though cos it has done 165,000 miles now!!!!I took mine to Awesome cos i was struggling to sort it,i tried leads,lambda sensor,etc.They did a 1550 and showed up hall sensor-only cost 30 for sensor.I let them fit it-not a big job.They know what they are doing-I would recommend them over Dubsport anyday!!Plus they are closer!!!

PETE