Throttle question

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Kroney, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Kroney Forum Member

Hi, I've got a bit of an odd problem that I'm struggling to diagnose.

When driving in traffic, my revs will stick at about 1900 rpm. This occurs regardless of whether the engine's hot or cold. If at idle, the lightest touch on the throttle will send the revs up to 1900, where they will stay. Sometimes a jab on the accelerator pedal will allow it to drop back down to a more normal idle, but most often it won't. My original suspicion was the idle control valve, but I discovered today that if I hook a foot under the the throttle pedal and give it an upwards tug, the engine will "unstick" and drop back down to a normal idle. This seems to work nine times out of ten.

I'm just not sure on how to properly diagnose and fix the issue, as I don't really know what I'm looking for. Can anybody give me some pointers?

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

What engine?

3. Kroney Forum Member

Oh right, yeah. That'd probably help.

It's an ABF.

4. richm New Member

Just a thought but how old is the throttle cable? Could it be frayed somewhere which is causing it to stick? Could perhaps explain why you can "unstick" it by hooking your foot under the pedal and lifting it up.

5. Kroney Forum Member

Well, I don't think it's frayed, but it does seem to be too tight. The switch on the throttle body doesn't get depressed when the throttle's released, so I think I need to give it a bit more slack. An Internet search brings up repeated mentions of how easy it is to adjust the cable, but none on how to actually go about it!

6. Kroney Forum Member

I've just discovered why there's no how to guide. It literally is the easiest thing in the world.