Thrown a rod- why???? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by 486NPO, Sep 8, 2007.

1. 486NPO Forum Member

Did I say I had rebuilt the engine?? Nope it came from a Golf4 which was having an R32 transplant. Hence it did not need running in.

This was the thrid run of the car, the first was on low boost up and down a private drive which revealed a few probs with the intercooler hosing, the second was a longer (approx five mile run) on low and high boost which proved successful. Car was then driven seven miles home slowly and on the thrid run it blew up after four miles on high boost. Ok so I exaggerated slightly for effect!

And it wasnt running 21psi- only 19!!

But yes, lack of homework is a total school boy error, unforgiveable and I have spent lots of time drowning my sorrows!!!

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

another thing, looks quite heavily varnished in there. no chance there was bad oil circulation somewhere?

3. 486NPO Forum Member

Very good chance- engine was an ebay special, so god knows whats happened to it in the past!

Another school boy error.

AR5E!!

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

its not neccessarily a lbft thing...
    I ran 30k miles on 340bhp/330lbft and a lot of abuse on my original 1.8t motor.

det/excess cylinder pressures and the most important thing, luck...

5. DarrenE Forum Member

What happened to it after the 30k? If you dont mind me asking

6. IanCarvell Forum Member

My brothers GT car had 350bhp (dont know what torque) on a standard bottom end (apart from pistons) but ran no problems until the pipe fell off the wastegate so gave it as much boost as it could supply, which resulted in a similar problem i.e. hole in block, lots of flames and smoke and stuff.

Driver Comment:- "I thought is was going well!"

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Nothing at all... its sat on an engine stand and was replaced with a built 1900cc motor with the right bits in it.. thats all.

Its my spare engine now when I need to rebuild another this will be the base motor.

Nothing dramatic like bang or anything.
    I suspect its tired in the ring dept as it did chuff like a kettle on boil out of the catch tank system. Not oil smoke ever, just crankcase blow by from tired rings. (I think)

8. pwoiks Forum Member

pardon my ignorance but whats an AFR meter? air/fuel ratio im guessing???

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, that's it. It basically monitors the air/fuel ratio as you're driving, so you can see what it's doing all the time.

10. pwoiks Forum Member

might be worth me getting one of these then. are there any tell tale signs for if its running rich or lean without an AFR?

11. MAT20VT Forum Member

condition of the spark plugs is a good one to go by

12. ianb Forum Member

Seems a common issue on B/T cars Bill. The breather system seems to make them smoke especially on prolonged tick over.....my car never uses oil but it puffs some smoke after a long time on idle when hot.....we suspect crankcase oil pressure build up with some small amount of oil in the breather going into the inlet possibly.

Jim's newly built TT does the same as another Golf.

As for the rods the Yanks are happy with OE rods upto 340hp.

APR run their kit at 340/330lbs on OE internals and have been for years.

13. audiman

audiman Forum Member

I know this is an old thread, but running a k04 at high boost now for a year on a stock AUM engine. No problems, boost peaks at 1.5bar @ 3900rpm.

14. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

H-Beam Rods & ARP Studs everytime just for piece of mind especially when running more than 280bhp etc.

my friend thru a rod on a 210bhp NASP 16V with exactley the same results!! ouch very messy