Timing belt/pump problem

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by ourkid, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ourkid Forum Member

Fitted a new belt to my AHU last night.Before i stripped anything down i set the flywheel at TDC mark,fitted the cam plate and noticed that i couldn't get the plunger in through the pump pulley into the hole in the backplate.It was about 3 quarters of a hole out[:s]

After much thinking i decided that the best way forward was to reset everything to the book.So i changed the belt and turned the pump so that it lined up (one tooth anticlockwise).

Now i'm wondering why it was setup like this.The car started/ran fine.Is there a reason why someone would want to retard the pump in this way or was it maybe a setup mistake in the past?

2. m1keh Forum Member

Belt stretching etc, you did loosen off the cam pulley too i hope?

3. ourkid Forum Member

I got this sorted in the end (there is a long and very informative thread on club Tdi)

I think my car has had a replacement pump.After i centralised this in it's slot and got everything lined up with the correct tools (and cam sprocket loose),it went back together nicely.

4. paul5 Forum Member

Hi ourkid, how easy is cambelt to do on TDi, i need to do mine for piece of mind, cheers