Timing issues

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by mactat2, Jul 8, 2012.

1. mactat2 New Member

Hi Guys, a couple of quick questions about timing up my scirocco. It's a 1.8EX running a weber, before i got hold of a haynes manual i did a bit of searching on forums for the correct timing but came up with a few contrasting bits of info....some say check the timing with the vacuum attached, some say disconnect it and block it off? haynes manual says it should be set to 18 deg before tdc, some say 6deg? some say use the marks on the timing belt cover other say use the ones on the fly wheel? so far i've found it runs better on using the 6deg mark on the fly wheel, i've also tried using the timing marks on the cam belt cover but that seems to make it tick over very lumpy. Does anyone know exactly how it should be set?
    cheers
    Mac

here she is.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. Shandyandy77 New Member

Hi
    I have a 1991 clipper 1.8 carb EX so I assume the same engine set up. I set the timing at 6 degree btdc using the flywheel. There is a round dent which is tdc and a diamond which is 6 btdc. Disconnect the vacuum hose and block it to set the timing (because otherwise the vacuum advances the timing a bit I think at tickover). I don't bother with the marks on the timing cover. Then once set when younconnect the vaccum hose the timing should advance a little, and then as the revs raise it should advance a lot! However, do set your cam timing first and make sure the cam is at tdc, the flywheel is a tdc and the notch on the dizzy points to plug 1. If you go to the mk1 golf owners club there is a guide to setting the cam and ignition timing which is excellent.

Andy

3. mactat2 New Member

Excellent! cheers Andy. It was the Haynes manual throwing me then saying the Ex should be set to 18 deg btdc. I'll set her back to 6, cam's all set up as it should be as i did the timing belt a couple of months back.
    Thanks again:thumbup:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its a carby it should be set to 18deg BTDC with the vac line connected! its the gti k-jet engines that are set to 6deg BTDC with the vac line disconnected. you can tell by looking at the diamond, on a gti they're very close together, on a carby you cant see them both thru the hole at the same time.

this is the 6 deg mark on a GTI flywheel, 18degree will be much further away:
    [​IMG]

and heres the emissions printout from ElsaWIN (VWs own workshop manual software) to dispel any doubt:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B...edit?pli=1&docId=0B_V9-6xfgGlIME5rdnJyZm9PR3M

5. mactat2 New Member

Now i'm even more confused [:s] my flywheel marks look exactly the same as the ones in the pic above??

6. rubjonny

are they that close together though, or further apart?

7. mactat2 New Member

Yeah, exactly the same as the pic, about 3/4" apart. I'm going to check the engine number tomorrow and make sure it is indeed the original EX thats in it and someone hasnt replaced it with something else? I do have loads of history with the car and theres no bills for another engine or engine work so i presume its the original motor.

8. rubjonny

yeah that would be my guess then, no big deal you can make your own 18degree mark (use GU measurement):
    [​IMG]

alternatively fit a gti cam and dizzy, then you can use the GTI mark and ignition timing setup :thumbup:

edit: in fact, tell us the part number on the dizzy it may already have had all this done

9. mactat2 New Member

Hi guys, i bought an adjustable timing light and used the tdc mark, had a read of vw pdf you showed me and set it as 14deg btdc running premium unleaded and she runs great now. Done 600miles this week and she never missed a beat :thumbup: Thanks for your help, much appreciated

10. rubjonny

awesomes :thumbup: