Timing problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by markis236, Apr 10, 2015.

1. markis236 New Member

Hi all I seem to be having trouble doing my 2L AGG conversion of my mk2 digi iv build the engine and iv times it up but when I check my timing marks on the head there a mile out but the cam is on the rock and all my crank shaft and other pullys line up fine ? Is this because I have a verina pully ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Mutch thanks Mark :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

which marks are you using? one of the main problems with the stock cam sprockets is they are also used for the intermediate shaft and so have both sets of marks. if you put the cam sprocket on backwards by mistake non of the marks line up! best bet is put the cam to TDC and check the lobes on #1 are pointed up and away like this: |\ /|, then see which if any of your sprocket marks line up. if nothing lines up then whip it off and flip it roudn the other way, then check again :)

the other thing is you have 2 marks on later MK2 lumps, theres always the inner marker same as early cars but you also have a OT marker on the outside which lines up with the notch on the plastic timing belt cover. If your vernier is only setup for the early style marks you shouldn't use any marks on the outside with the plastic half moon piece, if that makes sense? If you happen to have a stock sprocket sat about with the OT marker what you could do is line up the cam to TDC, make sure your vernier is set to 0 then transfer the OT marker over to the Vernier sprocket, I did this on my MK2 as its so much easier to use this one than the inner punch mark.

Got piccies in this here thread of both types of marker anyway, hopefully it'll help:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?124949