To all 16v Turbo owners

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Jimbob, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Jimbob Forum Member

Hey, i was just wondering who has a MK II 16vT golf?
    Cheers, James

2. stealthwagon Forum Member

i have one :)

3. Rallye_Will Forum Member

soon hopefully...still collecting the parts

4. madmk4 Forum Member

Me old man had one.
    Bloody. Nightmare.

SOunded nice though... When it wasn't breaking down or falling apart.

5. octane Forum Junkie

Theres a forum all about turbos! use it ;)

6. vwturbo Forum Member

Me and 4 yrs of perfect reliability,but that would be expected with a Stealth prepared 16v turbo. ;)

7. stealthwagon Forum Member

your dads could'nt of been a well sorted example of one?

8. Jimbob Forum Member

what sorta bhp are you all running? vwturbo, what 0-60 does a 250bhp mk II have?
    slim, are you doing the conversion yourself or sending it away etc? and what about all you others, is there a lot of work involved in converting the engine? what sort of internals would i need for 250bhp? and what about the g box, can it take that much power? need an LSD?
    Is K star the way to go? is there any issues this cant sort out?Can i have some opinions too, im getting a 16v gti engine to put into my golf, firstly, whats best, 2.0 or 1.8? Im thinking obviously 2.0 as its still gunna be N/A for another 10 months but will i notice much difference between a 2.0T and a 1.8T? Next, before it goes into my car, id like to re build it, shall i get uprated pistons/rods now even tho it wont be blown till next year and have it ready to just 'bolt on' the turbo or is it best to wait till i get turbo and do it then? actually, is it best just to run the 16v as it is now then fully re build it along with the turbo next year as im sure any engine i get will last out the year as it is!
    sorry for all the questions! hope someone can help!
    cheers, James

9. Rahul Forum Junkie

there is a post about this by 'altern8'.

have a look at it...

10. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Jimbob,

I am building this myself as i am on a budget. At the moment i am still sourcing all the parts i need and then i will take the car of the road to perform the conversion. I'm going for a stealth style set-up using 8 injectors and K-star to sort the fuelling. I have most of the bits i need apart from a downpipe (which i believe can be achieved by modifying a Nissan Sylvia? one) and the pipe work for the turbo/intercooler. As for the compression, i am going to send my conrods to stealth for the off-set bush treatment.

11. vwturbo Forum Member

Jimbob,0-60 is mid sixes on Stealths (old 190 bhp kit) so if and thats a BIG if [:s] i can get decent traction mine should do it around 6secs.

Standard gearbox is fine,but it might be down to luck that mine has survived for the last 4 yrs,so don't expect the gearbox to last cos they ain't the strongest gearboxes around IMO.

K-star is the cheapest way to go,but if i was doing it again i would use a pukka standalone ie DTA and dump the k-jet,then again i really cant complain what i've got cos it works really well and its been reliable [8D]

I might fit a Quaife LSD soon to see if that might help tractions from standing start,but even then i personally don't think it will make much of a difference.

12. stealthwagon Forum Member

jimbob,
    my car is a 1.8 stealth built 16vt which i,ve owned for nearly 2 yrs now and has proven to be nothing more than reliable performance in a mk2 :)
    if you do this conversion then get it rebuilt when the turbo is getting installed.1.8 or 2.o ? if you can get a 9a bottom end then yes go 2.0 if not,well its your choice.as for internals standard are fine and more than up for the job in hand,mine are and i think vwturbo's are to? but if you feel you want to go further?the standard gearbox is fine but if its tired then rebuild it and fit diff bolts instead of the poxy rivets and a good clutch like helix or sachs.your driving style will determine your box's lifespan,just enjoy the midrange grunt and in gear acceleration these conversions have.forget 0-60 think 0-100,these cars can be quick depending on setup and variation but can only comment on my own which has slain some pretty respected motors off the mark and on the move and that was before my power increase.previous power 217.7bhp@5897 194.4lb/ft@5769
    with 180.4 atw
    current power 260bhp@6827 216.7lb/ft@5267
    with 213.9 atw
    hope some of this will be of some use to you,listen to slim about using stealth for his offset bushing[wise move]if you are doing the work yourself then goodluck but
    try and take some pointers from people that have been
    acclamied and praised for there conversions[not me]rather than be misguided by people you dont no from adam.
    cheers neil

13. vwturbo Forum Member

Stealthwagon,did you get Vince to tweak up the boost when you were down there recently getting your 16vt sorted and power runned and do you have any detonation problems running more than 10 psi?

I would love to run a few more pounds of boost,but i think i'm near the limit before it starts detting.

I might need to dump the chargecooler and probably hybrid the turbo and then look at a larger intercooler if i want to up the boost in the near future and gain them extra horses which are lurking in my engine.

Talking about 16v internals,i know the only real weak point is the conrods on the 16v,i think they can hold 300ish bhp and anything more than you will need to change to stronger ones,otherwise its a strong bottom end for turboing [8D]

14. stealthwagon Forum Member

vwturbo,
    vince did ajust the boost to 12psi,the turbo is capable of more boost which i will save for when i go 2l :)
    as for pinking,there was slight pinking on the test drive but vince went out in it with john and laptop and sorted it.dont forget i have water injection which helps and my new intercooler seems to be working very well compared to tt one.personally i dont think some charge coolers are all there cracked up to be.

15. vwturbo Forum Member

If you speak to Vince about chargecoolers,he will tell you they're not all what they are cracked upto be [:s]but i was amazed how it kept the temps down reasonably well when i had my car rolling roaded end of June and it was 40c in his workshop :o and that bloody great fan he uses was totally useless when he was tuning my car [:s]

I'm still toying will the idea using water injection as a safety net and that might be needed if we have another hot summer.

Btw that is a standard t25 turbo you are using?? cos i noticed your power peeks at 6800 rpm and mine only peeks at 5900rpm and i was told they don't breath much after 6000rpm.

16. stealthwagon Forum Member

vw turbo,
    my turbo is the original t25 which has been rebuilt to hybrid spec by aet engineering.the comp side is from a t3{cozzie spec}and the turbine side is the same.it is good for 300bhp+ and has made a big difference
    to the car as the figures suggest.
    i would definatly look at water injection if i was you.thats just my opinion.
    cheers Neil.

17. madmk4 Forum Member

VW turbo, start a thread about quaife diffs on here and see what people say about traction...

I tihnk you'll find they're WELL WELL worth it..

Alough the boss at work swear they are total pooe and he uses griper diffs instead....so doesnt everyone else i know whos in competition to actually..

18. vwturbo Forum Member

Stealthwagon,i think you told me that you had hybrid fitted awhile back,i've got a VERY short memory,sorry! [:s]

I think the first thing i'll do next years is probably have a Quaife fitted and then sort out the water injection before the summer starts [8D].A hybrid turbo is a good idea,but i think that will have to wait,i need to find out if the Quaife helps with traction first before i up the power.

madmk4,who makes a griper? and have you got a cost for one?,i might be interested if they are not too many

19. madmk4 Forum Member

Gripper diffs are plate type diffs, have a read on the LSD FAQ on the forum for pros and cons..

Bout 600 quid, have a look at DT cataloug... erm.. Gripper make the diffs :) :p

20. stealthwagon Forum Member

vwturbo, ithink i did tell u about the hybrid but hey no problem m8.
    i'm also thinking about a quaife diff but might check out the gripper b4 i decide :)