To Tom Go satnav - help

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by stella, Sep 3, 2004.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Got the Tom Tom Go yesterday, so went out last night to have a play.....

Went to Halfords on one side of Nottingham who were out of stock of what I wanted, so decided to go to the one on the other side of the city. Tried using postcode (it's on a retail park, so no road name). Couldn't find it in the database. Got out a map, found some nearby roads, and none of them was in, either.

Tried a friend's road (it's at least 60 years old) and it couldn't find that either.

When I found a road that was in the database, it worked fine (only complaint is a very shiny/reflective screen).

So tonight, drove over to friend's and as it goes along, it names all the roads (including hers).

Went somewhere else then tried putting friend's road in again (in case it had 'learned') but it still wasn't there!

So I don't know if its a bad database (I assume it uses OS maps, same as MultiMap) or whether I've got a dud one.

So please, Drew - or anyone else who had one - let me know if yours is the same?

I thought, at 425, it was a bargain compared with the 1600 or so to have a 'real' one installed, but maybe it's too good to be true.

2. drew Forum Member

Difficult to say. I've only found one address I've searched for to be missing. (A new-ish industrial estate was missing).

If it can name the road it should be 'findable' from the address search facility.

PM me the address and I'll see if mine can find it if you like.

Cheers,

Drew.

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

PM on its way - thanks, Drew :)

It has found relatively new roads, it doesn't seem to be the age that's relative to what can be found.

Also, it has a funny way of spelling words, such as Queens Road is spelled Queens'S Road, and Surgeys Lane is spelled Surgey'S (when they're on the screen; they're two it can't find).
    Edited by: stella

4. drew Forum Member

PM by return.

Found the roads ok, but under 'Nottinghamshire' rather than 'Nottingham'. Not sure why that would be but it seems to work best when you choose the county as your initial search area.

Presumably the boundaries of the towns in the database are a bit more compact than they are in reality.

'Surgey'S' is the same on mine too!

Cheers,

Drew.'
    Edited by: drew

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks, Drew :)

Am off to work now to try it again. Will let you know.

cheers
    Stella