toad ai606 blowing a fuse

Discussion in 'Security' started by mk2bal, Apr 24, 2011.

1. mk2bal Forum Member

My toad seems to blow the 15amp indicator flashing fuse (on the toad wiring).. It worked fine for 10months, I noticed the other day they weren't flashing on lock/unlock, swapped the fuse,which cured it for a couple of days, now I notice its gone again?? What would be causing this? I understand too much current is flowing, and causing it to blow, but nothings shorted out, all golf wiring and fuses, indicators and hazards etc work fine..its a late ce2 fuseboard etc etc

2. mk2bal Forum Member

Troublestarter/ toad installer?? Any input?? My hazards and indicators aren't blowing fuses on the vw wiring, so where might I have a short? It blows the fuse straight away now, even with alarm dis-armed, when the indicators aren't even trying to flash at the time-its just blowing it asap.spose as its looking purely alarm related and not car related I'd best pull the fuseboard for a look at terminations, then pull the centre console to check alarm box + wires..hmmm...

3. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

bizarre one that
    there could be a dead short somewhere possibly in the alarm thats causing the fuse to blow instantly
    its a bit difficult to diagnose without seeing the car to be honest

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it possible to unplug the alarm brain? if so try that, if fuse still blows then the wires are shorted somewhere behind the dash

5. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

unplugging the brain won't help to be honest
    i would check that the two indicator wires from the alarm have gotten trapped somewhere and are chaffing on metal work

6. mk2bal Forum Member

I've just run the boot alarm switch back to the trunk and made that off etc so will have a little look-see behind the fuseboard in a min.. Yeah I'm hoping to see maybe some wear on a cable where the f/b hangs in the bracket. Its tidy as possible down there, but still tight and looking birds nest-ish! Will report back..

7. mk2bal Forum Member

Well I had a good poke about the fuseboard area, everything appears to be fine, all insulation intact.. Had a proper look at where I've spliced into the vw indicator wiring (blk/green + blk/white) and all joints are good. Replaced the fuse with my head under fuseboard hoping to see a flash, and nothing. Fuse didn't blow. Tried lock/unlock a few times, indicators working as they should again. Got home 10 mins later and guess what- they didn't flash, so fuse has gone again!! Doh! Not sure wether to start poking round indicator bulb holders looking for trouble, as the vw indicator fuse isn't blowing and they seem to be fault free. Thinking about it its got to be a dodgey wire somewhere, as if it was constantly shorted it would blow straight away everytime, not work for months/days/hours/minutes between blowouts. Its after the car had driven/rattled down the road back home..