Toad fitting - Insurance cert. query

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mikey, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Mikey Forum Member

Came across this Toad Ai606 alarm:
    Ai606

and this Toad Powerkey:
    Powerkey

They're brand new, boxed, look to be good value & come with the certificates etc & the Ai606 comes with the installation manual too.

I'm pretty good with auto electrics, and as long as I had the installation wiring diagrams (and the advice of you knowledgeable people on this forum [:D] )I'm sure I could do a better job at fitting it to my dads Mk3 Gti than the imbecile who fitted the alarm & ICE to my car [:x] , and I'd be sure it was fitted correctly & all the trim would be put back together properly.

Question is, would the insurance certificates the seller says that come with the kits be worth the paper they're printed on (I wouldn't be able to fill them in myself surely??), or come insurance renewal time would I have to take the car to an authorised dealer to get them to either fit the alarm, or pay them to inspect my installation handywork, making the apparent bargain purchase into a not so cheap buy?

(Thinking about it, I can't remember my current insurer requesting to see my cat 1 alarms certificate - then again I've been with them for a good few years & may have forgotten sending it to them!)

Are there any authorised cat 1 & 2 alarm installers on this forum that could give me some guidance & their views?
    Any advice appreciated!
    Mike

2. jake Forum Member

if I can fit an alarm and have it pass inspection by a clifford fitter then it must be easy. The certification cost 30 quid from memory and makes the alarm a whole lot cheaper.

(if you should purchase the toad Ai606, could you scan the diagram please I feel like adding some bits to mine!)

3. Mikey Forum Member

That sound good! Did you just take it to your local VSIB installer to get it checked over? Did you have to ring around or are they generally quite willing to do this?

If it even took me a weekend to remove trim on the car, install the alarm or immobiliser, get it inspected before installing the trim back, then it would be well worth it I think. Even if I budgeted around 50 to get it checked over then it would be worth it, & I'd know that I wouldn't be getting any old monkey breaking my interior & bodging the installation

I'm just trying to plan forwards at the moment, but if I do buy one I'll bear you in mind!

Cheers
    Mike

4. Jetta Forum Junkie

Just do what I'm doing, say you bought the car from a salvage auction (mine actually did, though) and say the alarm was allready fitted (though it wasnt).

Only thing is my local clifford installer wants 45 to issue a VSIB on my Concept 600 though my local Toad dealer re-cert my AI606 for 25.

Should be easier fot the clifford dealer as they only have plug in a cable and reun cliff-net to test it.

5. jake Forum Member

yup! thats what we did, it was my mates car so he went along to a dealer saying that he didnt get the cert with the car and they did the checks and dished out the paperwork.

-edited for stupid mistake-
    Edited by: jake