toad powerkey removal

Discussion in 'Security' started by Gavster, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Gavster Forum Member

Hi

Does anyone know the going rates for removing immobilsors?

I had a toad powerkey installed 2 years ago - I was on my (2nd) spare keyfob and this split in half last week - much to my dismay, rendering the whole system useless! (stupid me didn't know you always have to have a spare keyfob so you can learn from it)

I really want it removed now so I can use my car (no point in getting a brand new one installed as the car is only worth 400 or so now)

The original installer wants around 60 to remove it.

Does anyone know anyone in the bristol area that could do it for cheaper (or even how i go about doing it myself!)

2. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    is the glass transponder intact?

i drilled a wooden keyring and put the transponder inside with some putty.....

worked a treat

you can recode new fobs to your system also

3. Gavster Forum Member

I've only got the plastic shell (I can't start the car at all)

The alarm/immobilser installers said I can't get a new keyfob for it as it can't learn from anything. They said i'd have to have a whole new system installed?!

( I also told them how **** the powerkey transponder is.. it split in half really easily!)

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

You will probably find that the unit has been wired such that it interrupts the following two connections:

1. Starter motor solenoid supply (goes live when you crank the engine) either between starter switch and fusebox, or back out of the fuse box where it leads into the engine bay. Either way it'll be a very thick red wire with black stripe. Alternatively, the installer may have interrupted the +ve supply to the ignition switch (thick red) or something. Take away the plastics under the steering column and have a nose around. You may need to pull the fusebox forward. You'll probably find the wire that has been snipped, and a thin black wire from the Toad unit will connect to each end, covered with some tape. That's how most installers do it anyway.

2. Fuel pump supply. Cannot remember the colour of the wire going from fusebox to fuel pump, but from memory I think it is one of the wires that goes into connector 'M' on the back of the fusebox. Try removing the plastic sill trim along your driver door and lifting the carpet. If the installer has interrupted the fuel pump supply here, it'll be quite obvious. The outer protective plastic that contains many wires that run along the sill under the carpet towards the back of the car, including fuel pump, will have been cut open.

If electrics really, really aren't your bag, then to put it more simply: Start ripping bits of trim out until you find where he's put the Toad unit. Then trace where the thin black wires are going from that and you'll eventually find where they've been spliced into the car's electrics.

I think that the Powerkey is the one I used to have (before I removed it and fitted a Cat 1 system myself). I think that this unit is designed to interrupt two circuits, hence it has two pairs of black wires. In my case the installer used one pair for the starter solenoid and one pair for fuel pump supply.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

What car are we referring to? Usually lazy auto electricians hide the control box under the centre console/up behind the dash, so as Trev has said take as much of the dash plastics and centre console off as you can, when when you find the control box trace the wires to where they have been spliced into the car's loom (usually somewhere near the fuse box) then remove the immob wires and re-join your car's loom back to it's original state and away you go. I bought an 8v GTI as a non starter as the immob wouldn't disarm, that was a Toad cat 2 and I had it out and the engine running in less than 5 minutes, and another 5 minutes to replace the trims and tidy the loom :thumbup:

6. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

Easy to remove when fitted bad

or hard to remove if fitted well

Unless you are in the game

I remove for about 25

Ian

7. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Most of the one's I have come across have just been thrown in with the wires joined at the back of the fuse box, bloody cowboys :thumbd:

Ian you have PM by the way

8. Gavster Forum Member

I got them to come out in the end - was sat there for 2 months. They charged me 47 in the end (hours labour) even though he started the car in under 5 minutes!

9. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

Someone has to pay for that posh showroom[:s]

10. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

Hi mate not come through as yet try send to ian@imewse.freeserve.co.uk

Ian