"Tom Tom" Navigation device... (updated)

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by drew, May 30, 2004.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks, Drew :)

Just a couple of final questions (if you don't mind).

His job is visiting companies, so he will usually have the street and town, but probably not the number of the street. Hopefully, this will be the same as option 1 in your example?

I expect the maps will have to be updated frequently (especially judging by the amount of new building going on around here). How often is new data released, how much does it cost, and is it by download/CD?

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I expect that they will release updates annually, just like normal nav/route planning software. No announcement has been made AFAIK as to how this data will be updated. The maps are stored on a memory card (as mentioned above) and this will most likely be flashable with new data. As to how you go about getting this, im not sure. Maybe a purchased CD or downloaded update, one thing is for sure and that is you will have to pay for this provelege.

3. drew Forum Member

Once you get to selecting a street you have a choice of the house number, or a junction with another road, or 'Anywhere' on the target road.

So you can get to

123 Muppet Street
    Muppetville
    Muppetshire
    AB12 3CD

(Best)

Or Junction of Muppet Street and Gonzo Road
    Muppetville
    Muppetshire
    AB12 3CD

(Good if you know the junction - easy enough from multimap or ask the company on the phone)

Or Somewhere on Muppet Street
    Muppetville
    Muppetshire
    AB12 3CD

(Gets you on the right road atleast!)

Cheers,

Drew.

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

5. G60Sanj New Member

I want to get tom tom with a PDA, so I can use it as a diary for work as well as download the speed camera software.

Problem is that I have absolutely no idea of which is a good PDA? Can anyone recommend a good value for money PDA? I'd really only use it for diary entries and address book etc, not for excel or other programmes, although I suppose useful to have if it comes with it.

Problem is because of the cost I would want to get at least 3 years out of it, so do I need to consider issues such as memory etc etc.

Also heard about bluetooth drop outs??????

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Sanj

6. drew Forum Member

The demo unit I tested (stationary in PC World car park) dropped its bluetooth connection three times in 5 minutes. Bluetooth is still notoriously unreliable. I would avoid personally.

The screen update on the PDA tom tom is really slow (3 frames a second) compared to the virtually full motion display you get in the dedicated device.

The tom tom go will be update-able with custom POIs shortly anyway, so you will be able to load in speed camera points courtesy of clever chaps online.

If you want a decent cheap PDA, avoid Microsoft Pocket PC stuff and look at an entry level Palm. Most come with Excel and Word viewers nowadays.

Cheers,

Drew.

7. G60Sanj New Member

Drew - thanks that helpful.

Do you know when the tom tom Go that can load the speed camera software will be available?

I know you have a version already but will that same one be able to use the software or will I have to wait for a new version to be realeased?

What I'm really asking is if I get the one that you have now can I download the speedcamera software later?

8. drew Forum Member

The speed camera stuff will just be customised POI, a database of locations you load in on top of the maps. No need for a new version of the device as long as you have a PC with USB.

Cheers,

Drew.