tomtom stuiped routes!!

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by AndyCEB, Jul 11, 2006.

1. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Does anyone have issues with their tom tom planning routes which takes them down single track roads and dirt tracks!? [:x]

If I had followed its instructions this morning I would have been driving through a tiny overgrown path not wide enough for a car! [:s]

Is there a way to tell it to stop using crappy roads? :lol: im using tomtom on my PDA

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yes, never use it on "shortest route"

and if you think you know better, then ignore it and stick to the major route.

also, actually LOOk at the route before you set off, and if it LOOKS daft, make it choose an alternative.

3. craggsy Forum Member

Agreed

4. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

As Phat says,sometimes it throws up some mad journeys especially if not set right but personally I only ever use satnav as an aid and never ever rely 100% on it.

5. gti8v Forum Member

i like using them in supermarket carparks, or one ways that have just been changed, really fooks it up...

6. Jetta Forum Junkie

I used mine to check shortest route to work so I could get to work quickly on my bike, I work on a large ex ICI chemical complex with internal roads, tomtom seems to think those roads are useable even though most if these are private/emergency roads going through about dozen different chemical companies sites, can't see their security letting me though north gate and back out of south gate to get to my office at nylon 66 gate.

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

bugger, got to go to south london tomorrow. I don't know my way around, I'll be on my own, and I've only got a map and my tom tom to guide me.

wish me luck!!

8. CARPY25 Forum Member

all the route planers are the same, i use microsoft atuoroute and it will send you off a motorway to drive 5 or 6 miles on A and B roads only to rejoin the motorway at the next junction because it half a mile shorter that way ,it's crap but better than nothing

Rob

9. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Thing which I have noticed is Multimap.com seems to plan sensible routes, wish there was an update to make tomtom more like multimap :thumbd:

10. boss New Member

Swear by my tom tom. Only thing is makes you lazy and difficult to remember routes without it.

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

class one this.

coming out of santa pod, along the A45, trying to join the M1 north. basically, I have to go overt he M1 to the roundabout, then turn right to join the motorway. What does TOMTOM say?

"turn...left...then....do a u-turn" WTF????