Took the jump - now a fully paid up member :)

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Dubwolfdale, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Dubwolfdale New Member

Hi everyone,

Just signed up to become a fully paid up member of clubgti. Been stalking the forum for a couple of months whilst looking into Mk2 GTI ownership and asked some pretty basic newbie questions which has now led to my first GTI being collected tomorrow night. Its a J reg 1991 8v which needs a bit of work but on the whole is in good condition and already features a lovely clubgti sticker in the rear window so someone may know of it and its history? I'll hopefully get some images up in the next couple of days. Plan is to do a mini restoration and use it as a weekend/track day car.

All the information on here has been really useful and the qestions I have asked have been answered qucikly and courteously and it seems like a friendly place to be so i'm looking forward to hopefully meeting a few people in the not to distant. FYI, I'm based in Leicester.

Cheers

Dale

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Welcome on board matey

3. Willber Forum Member

Good work! Make sure you post some pictures up when you have collected the car :)

4. Dubwolfdale New Member

Fanally got the old girl home! Does anyone know anything about J745 SDP?

Well after some trailer based shenanighans over the past two weeks I finally managed to get the GTI home last night :) I'll get some pictures up this weekend but I thought i'd post some info on it for starters.

Firstly, and possibly a sign that it was definetly the car fate had conspired for me to find, it was first registered on the 2nd of August 1991. I purcahsed it and signed it over to myself on the 2nd August 2011, 20 years to the day later :o so happy 20th birthday new car! It's a 90-spec J-reg 8 Valve in what looks to me Helios Blue (its a bit too light for royal blue).

Perusing the V5 it would appear that I'm the 10th owner, so its been around the block a little bit (hussy) and the vin number seems to suggest it's a Wolfsburg built GTI. It's not what you'd call the best example of the marque by any strecth as it needs some bodywork attention, interior attention, new wheels, the bonnet is stuck on the 1st latch, needs a heck of a lot of new trim and bumpers, it's been lowered to the point the front wheels and arch liners have become very good freinds, the blue smoke from both the engine bay and exhaust probably isn't a great sign that its been serviced for a while and it isn't quite low mileage at 168,000 miles but I fell for it the second I saw it, and as my first GTI and first project car it's a good starting point to try and restore it to it's former glory. Looking around the interior the person that ordered it didn't appear to spend to much time looking through the options list :lol: but for 300 beggars can't be choosers. :)

Other than this info, 2x MOT's for 2009 & 2010 and the V5 form there is no paperwork or history for it whatsoever. Not even a manual. Having done a HPI check it hasn't been stolen, written off or any of that stuff and the last recorded mileage was 147,000 miles in 2007, so seeing as its stood for almost a year the current mileage of 168,000 seems genuine enough. The chap I purcahsed it from was a nice bloke who was only selling on as he didn't have time to do the work himself. There is an etched glass effect Club GTI sticker in the rear window however, so, its a long shot as it could be that someone bought the sticker many moons ago and may not have actually been a member, has anyone owned, seen, or know anything about J745 SDP?

Any info is greatly recieved, plan this weekend is to strip it down and go rust hunting so I may find an errant build list or something wedged behind a panel or something :). I'm temtped to get its certifciate from VW, 50 euros is a bit steep but it may shed some light on it. I'll post some pictures over the weekend to hopefully show some progress.

Thanks
    Dale

5. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbup: