Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2. Norledge Forum Member

So yeah, got the engine in, and it runs! (when i short out the starter...)

Few odd plugs left... Help!?

This looks big and important...
    [​IMG]

Guess this is an earth... no big earth spades though!?
    [​IMG]

Erm..
    [​IMG]

Erm..
    [​IMG]

This doesn't look right...
    [​IMG]

This is one of the wires that needs connecting to an ignition live IIRC??
    [​IMG]

Reverse Light switch??
    [​IMG]

This one...
    [​IMG]

3. rubjonny

1. headlight range control, unused unless you have ponce-spec mk2

2. earth of some kind, theres a spade claw above the fusebox with lots of earth points pop it on there

3. ignition live feed for something, leave it for now till you find summat that dsont work. looks like windows or mirrors to me though

4. heated seat loom section plug, its always there regardless of if you have them or not :lol:

5. no not quite, the red wire with yellow spade is fuel injector power. 2 options, easiest is trim the locking peg off the size and pop it into spade 'N' on the fusebox. Alternatively cut the spade off and pop it in with the lambda probe red/white from g1/8 into a female 6./3mm spade and plug into the male spade hanging off E/14 (if it has factory rear fuel pump loom, if not then splice to fuel pump live somehow)

6. looks like the extra feed from the mk3 ecu relay, no need to use it. ideally chase to source though!

7. yes reverse lights, if you binned the mk2 wires you need a 90spec mk2 or mk3 8v reverse switch

8. speedo sender, no need if keeping mk2 dash

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Norledge Forum Member

Cool thanks mate!!

Any idea why the starter wouldn't be getting signal?? I dont seem to be getting any ignition live to certain thing (stereo and stuff...)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. rubjonny

which starter wire did you leave in, the mk2 or the mk3? is the starter trigger on the right spade on the starter if there are 2?

6. Norledge Forum Member

Its the mk2 wire, only one spade...

7. rubjonny

hmm. unplug the ignition switch and bridge the red to the red/black. if that works then the ign switch has packed in, if not then its a problem between the ignition switch and the starter. trace the red/black from ign switch to fusebox checking for any bodgyness, a previous alarm install could be the cause

8. Norledge Forum Member

What colour is the wire going to the starter spade, as the one i have is blue!? And where does the trigger wire come out of the fuse box!?

9. rubjonny

ah, that isnt right :lol:
    red/black is the wire to the starter. thin blue is the alternator charge wire. starter wire comes from D/24

10. Norledge Forum Member

Ok starter was me being a Mong. Wrong trigger wire!

Hopefully last question... the abf alternator has a two pin plug and the main ring... The mk2 only had two rings... which pin do i connect into the mk2 loom!?

11. rubjonny

have you got a mk3 alternator loom? if not easier to get one so you have the right plug for the alternator. then you need to run the single pin plug on mk3 loom to the blue wire spade near the battery +. you can either cut off the mk3 plug from the donor and crimp a spade on, or cut the mk3 plug off alt loom and splice on the old mk2 loom wire.

an alternative is find a 2 pin plug that fits the alt and splice this to the mo2 alternator loom. just make sure you get the right pin! its d+ on the mk3 alt, or you can switch on the ignition and get a helper to touch the end ofg the mk2 wire to each pin on the mk3 alt. when the battery light comes on you found the right pin

12. Norledge Forum Member

Ok that's sorted, thanks again!

It now runs but hunts for idle and dies after a few minutes... got a mate coming over later with his vagcom cable. but i also have a problem with the brake lights - they're permanently on.... I've not touched the wiring fir them have i!?!?

13. rubjonny

you prob just knocked the brake switch. press the pedal then pull the pin on it to extend and release the pedal, done.

with the idle check the wirign to the tps is ok it bakes hard and cracks up round the back, check isv buzzes as well if not look at your fuses 17 and 18. it could just be you need to take it out for a thrash, mate of mine had same issues it just needed a good spanking to clear out the cobwebs. i assume plugs/lambda were getting fowled up from all the messing about trying to get the car running

14. Norledge Forum Member

The tps wiring had gone...

[​IMG]

Fixed it, cleared the codes, but still not right... Don't touch the wiring for the isv in the conversion do you? Which ECU pins do the ISV wires go to?

I'll check them then just rape it up the road then!!

15. rubjonny

the isv ignition live wire comes from the fusebox, it used to be on G2/4 to help you track it down ;)

16. Norledge Forum Member

Ahaha this cpuld be the issue then... I'll let you know!! Thanks AGAIN!!!

17. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Keeping smoke inside the wires - -

RJ, you're a legend & appreciated by many including us lurkers:clap:

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Apologies if this is a stupid question but what does the actual transponder look like? I took my Seat key apart yesterday - do I just remove the entire chip inside it and swap it over to one of those blanks?

19. rubjonny

its a small black chip about 10mm long, it will be glued into a recess in the key. carefully cut away the key plastics till the chip falls out

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Since this thread has been create, I am happy to see the ABF conversion as very popular.
    Recently I tested my own advice and demonstrated how to undertake the conversion from 8v digifant to an ABF engine and a mapped megasquirt ecu. in a few hours

This can be viewed on my thread for JORAN - the Golf Mk2 formally known as an 8v

Thanks for reading.:thumbup: