TPS For Passat 16v Auto Throttle body - An alternative

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by thegeo, Feb 8, 2015.

1. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Hello.

I have a Golf 1 (was Digifant) 2.0 8v running megasquirt V2 (actually a microsquirt in a digifant box.....)

I am using a throttle body of a 96 Passat 16V Automatic on the stock digifant manifold.

Recently the TPS went bad. The resistance would vary a bit as the engine compartment warmed up which wasn't a big deal when driving, but the closed throttle value would vary enough to make me have to set the Closed Loop Idle / Idle RPM and Overrun Fuel Cut Off thresholds to 5% TPS.

Not good, as this caused loads of issues getting it to behave as it should!

The original TPS (054 133 154 F) is rare and expensive, especially in Europe, as it looks like it was was mostly fitted to 16v Automatic Corrados. "Oooooh! Yes, I'll buy a sporty Coupe with a 4 speed auto please!"

I have just fitted a TPS from an Audi S2 (AAH) (P/N VW 078 133 154 - Bosch 0 280 120 431) that is apparently a lot more common.
    Mechanically it fits, but the TPS connector is 6 pin instead of 3 pin (or 2 x 3 pin if you want to be pedantic).
    I also acquired a Bosch 6 pin plug to fit on the Audi TPS (P/N Bosch 1 287 013 004).

Pins numbers are the same for both, i.e. Pin 1 on the Passat TPS is Pin 1 on the Audi TPS and pin 3 is in 3.......

4 and 6 on the Audi TPS are for the closed throttle switch, which I'm not using.

A diagram of the Audi TPS is here.
    http://12v.org/urs/engine_map/20405.phtml

anyway it works.

Hope that helps someone

Geraint

rubjonny likes this.