Track day virgin at Goodwood

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by rick the spud, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Got some last minute track time at goodwood when i went up to see some friends. wasn't even expecting to go out. Car was zero prepared!

Warning - this video is complete amateur... (the camera was duck-taped on the passenger headrest for one!)
    we're laughing and joking all the way round, and please excuse my laugh. I'm just glad we didn't crash. Take the urine if u like, we had a massive laff...

check out the slide at 5 mins and the massive balls up at 11 mins 20secs

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3899526504744081774

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

:lol: Thats great. Looks like fun!

Well done for having a go though!

Better luck next time?:lol: :clap:

3. leontdi Forum Member

mental im liking the commentry i wanna do one soon.

4. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Looked like fun, loved the spin out ! :lol:

How much did it cost for the track time ?

5. Coxylaad New Member

lol that was hilarious :lol:

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

your a nutter:lol:

I liked the bit "i think my tyres flat" then you just hear the engine...bwrrrrrrrrrrah, obviously not that bothered!!

7. seanlazyass Forum Member

Your are a fecking nutter!

Well in for having a go.
    Just one piece of advice though............ DO NOT lift off mid bend!

8. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

lmfao dude, you are a legend.. hahahhahaha...

ive yet to give it a go.. going to very soon tho!

funny stuff.. good job

9. tandino Forum Member

Good effort mate.
    Just for reference i was hitting 135 down through Lavant last December:p
    To get a good lap time you have to have big balls and carry lots of speed through Fordwater!.
    Good fun though!

Pete.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Rick looks like you had fun but i think i would end up strangling you as a passenger if you talked that much :lol: ;) .

11. cheers for the feed back guys... it was proper fun.

needed some new tyres afterward. had massive flat spots and the car was vibrating all the time. they were shafted anyway, and the shoulder was completely missing on the front left.

i need to get some better pads, they lasted ok (there ain't loads of heavy braking) but they gave off loads a dust. my front wheels were hanging afterward.

Bobby T - got a deal on the last 2 sessions of the day with bookatrack.com for 60, but the whole day is 175 i think.

seanlazyass - i was trying not to lift mid-bend, but my spin was due to carrying far too much speed into woodcote (and trying to close up on an Elise - like that was going to happen.)

12. ColinT Forum Member

An accident waiting to happen! Suggest you learn the proper lines and get your braking/gearchanges sorted out before you go so fast.

Sorry to be negative but you (and others) can get hurt out there ;)

13. seanlazyass Forum Member

Just trying to give you a bit of advice mate. I think your spin was also due to you changing down a gear (3rd i think) just before turning in and then not getting back on the throttle enough. I don't think you were actually carrying to much speed, as if you were you would have spun to the outside of the track not the inside.

Anyway, have fun next time just take it easy first and get your breaking and turn-in points sorted before you start to push.

Everyone has to start somewhere, well done for having the balls to go for it. I did my first trackday in a basically standard valver similar to yours.

Sean

14. cheers seanlazyass.

i don't think i changed down, but i might not have been back on the throttle quick enough, or even feathering the brakes! I think i was going a bit too fast as well. the Elise gets on the brakes about 50yrds before i even got of the gas. I'm not quite sure what happened, all i know is there was a lot of smoke, and some cracking black lines...

Thanks to everyone (nearly!) for being so supportive. I think too many people (myself included) are put off by track day purists who have the fully kitted, stripped and caged motors, and loads a track time under their belt, who look down on newcomers not getting perfect lines, etc. Like Sean said, 'Everyones gotta start somewhere', just remember to take it easy to start off with.

15. ColinT Forum Member

My point exactly. I just felt you were pushing too hard for a first timer who clearly didn't know the best line to take. I've seen a couple of Golfs on their roof and it's not a pretty sight.

Have fun but be safe ;)

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think the fact that you were trying to get the back end out on a track with other traffic on your 1st outing is what wound some peeps up as those other cars may have had considerable amounts of money spent on them.

17. 1.3mk3p In Delete Queue

ColinT......you were text book perfect when you went on track first time and can honestly say you have never decided to have more of a giggle on track? Give it a break, i cant see that it was dangerous to others and it shows confidence in the car. It was an ACCIDENT that caused the spin. Everyone learns somehow and mistakes are always made. The video doesnt seem to show appauling driving. When i have heard you are schumacher then i will listen to your constructive *******s about someones driving but untill then......:lol:
    OH and well done for giving it a go Rick, good laugh being on track and messing about, proved what i already thought of the mk2 valver

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

confidence in the car........look at my steering wheel shaking, i think i have flat spots on my tyres.... BBBwwarrrpppppp :lol: ;)

edit: I did enjoy watching the video.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  19. ColinT Forum Member

No I wasn't text book perfect first time (still not after years of track driving) and no I've never decided to have a giggle on track.

If you don't want to listen, who cares :lol: It's my opinion at the end of the day ;)

20. calm down guys :p

fthaimike - i wasn't trying to get the back out, it just sort of did. I was, however, surprised that i managed to catch it (the first time anyway!). Should have got back on the power. :clap:

I also wasn't out there having a giggle! It was fun, and i have verbal diarrhoea, that's the way i am (i'm always worse when my mate's in the car!). i was bricking it when i was out there, and was doing my best to stay out of everyones way. Especially being a track virgin in a golf up against TVRs, Elises, and Caterhams!

I don't think i was going that fast, the car could have gone a bit faster, just not with me driving... [:s]