Transmission is STIFF going side to side HELP

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by rok, Jun 19, 2016.

1. ROK

rok New Member

VW 2005 Jetta GLS 5spd MK4 2.0 BEV engine
    So the cars been sitting for probably 6 months, and ive been doing some work to get it ready for registration. I degreased the engine bay probably a month ago and the car was difficult to get into reverse a week or two following it.
    Now, its difficult, or should i say weird to get into first. I actually have to use two hands to get it to go side to side, and to get into first i need to push down on the shifter (as if im going into reverse). Reverse is almost non existent. Whenever i shift where reverse should be, im going in first. If I try for a long time i can get into reverse, but it takes alot of force/trial and error. No grinding.

I dont know what the heck is happening. It hasn't been driven hard (like ever) and the clutch feels ok. I sorta tried one of those adjustments but i dont think i actually adjusted anything, because it seems like there was no slack and i didn't want to force anything. I also couldn't really get the black lever to go upright. Im very confused. Tranny oil probably has never been changed. I tried spraying the shifter bushings with white lithium grease, made the up and down shifts smoother than they already were, but side to side is still like moving a stick through tar.

Heres a video of me shifting it, before i attempted the adjustment. https://youtu.be/gxx__diwN0k
    This item http://imgur.com/h5p69gW is not going up or down very easily as I saw in the dieselgeek video. It takes some force to get it to go up and down, and im not quite sure if its linkages or what, but it seems springy in the video but mine is not.

Please help me it would mean the world. Its sorta undriveable atm. I'm sick to my stomach because i want to be driving this car so bad, and probably dropped 1k on it (suspension, brakes, stereo) just for the transmission to have these problems.

Heres a video of how the shift L shaped thingy is so stuck, and not springy like it seems like it should be... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Xx0IZH8rg

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hmm, I would say that degreasing it has made it stick some how. You have tried most things I would suggest really. I doubt it's the cable but I would pop the pin out of the top cable to make sure it's not the cable as fault. If that moves free on its own then fine. If it's the tower that's sticking then you may have to remove it from the gearbox to inspect it. You might have ruined the top bearing with the water which is why it's sticking.

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I'd disconnect the cable ends from the shift tower. Then try changing gears.

If it is easy to move the gear lever, you know the cables are fine and can focus on the shift tower. If the cables are stiff you can lubricate those.

4. ROK

rok New Member

Ok i took some **** apart today and i'm going to hazard a guess that its the bushings like these http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_Bushing...1j0711067l.htm attached to side to side linkage. Only thing is, I cant friggen get the thing out! I tried WD40, an hammer, a mallet, prying with a screw driver, pulling etc and only got it like 2mm out, but that thing is stuck in there! How do i get it off?? In every video it slides out, but this feels like it is concreted in!
    [​IMG]
    The thing marked with an X is irremovable and is what i need out. It is so stuck into the bushing it isn't even funny, and it is no longer rotating in the bushing.
    I did attempt to remove the whole shift tower assembly, as pictured, but the issue was that it too, was pretty damned stuck. I sorta gave up after managing to get the two bolts out of the tower, as well as the reverse plug off when i couldn't get it off using my hands... and a little prying.

Also, when i detached the cables my shift stick in the car works flawlessly, and i mean really well, so at least i know its not that anymore...

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

First off remove the m8 nut off the counterweight control arm and take it off. Now get some wd onto both ends of that lever and keep working it back and fourth. It's a slide fit originally and should work its way out in the end. If not, use a small punch and knock it through.
    Once out clean it down with some wet and dry, purchase 2 new plastic bushes and swap them over, use a screw driver to tap them out. Grease up, and refit.

Nige likes this.
  6. ROK

rok New Member

I'm not sure of what you mean by the M8 nut on the counterweight control arm, is it the one pictured below with a red arrow pointed at it? The issue with removal of that item is what my green arrow is pointing at. It's sorta in the way and It's plastic as well so I don't want to damage it. It seems to me the thing the side to side linkage attaches (pictured in my previous post, with a red outline) to needs to be removed first, but I can't find any good guides online to sort this out.
    [​IMG]

7. Hotgolf

Yes that's the M8 nut I was referring to. You'll need to tap the black lever to the right of the pic to allow the counterweight shift arm to come off. Yes, the cable needs to come off this first also. It will come off although you may end up damaging that white plastic guide, but these are only a few quid.

8. ROK

rok New Member

I plan on replacing the plastic bushings, and I've been giving the black thing quite a few violent taps but it is stuck. So damn stuck like it's been welded in or something. I've doused it with penetrating oil, etc etc and its still stuck.

Heres a video to further outline this issue-
    [video=youtube_share;Mg0EK8HClGA]https://youtu.be/Mg0EK8HClGA[/video]

9. Hotgolf

Ok, remove the 2 lower bolts. Disco bet both cables and make sure the selector is in neutral. Replace the top m8 nut.
    Now, push the selector down and slide it up quickly with force. The tower maybe siliconed in so it's going to be stubborn. Keep doing this until it pops out.
    When out, drift that lever/pin out of the top. Where you say it's rotating on the end it shouldn't be. It should be loose in the plastic bushes in the tower.