trigger wheel on 9A 16v - missing tooth relative to TDC?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Chaps, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Chaps Forum Member

I have made myself an ally adaptor for a Trigger Wheel so that it bolts onto the harmonic damper in place of the power steering pulley.

Just trying to work out where I should locate the missing tooth relative to TDC? I was going to make the trigger wheel adjustable by 20deg (10 deg side to side) but i want to know a good starting point. I have read somewhere a while back that if you align it 6 teeth BTDC it is "about right".

Its a 9A with 268 deg cams, running on Megasquirt if this makes any difference?

I was thinking about it, and am also wondering does the alignment of the Trigger wheel to TDC even matter, because in the megasquirt s/w cant you adjsut the advance / setup in there? I'm a bit confused...

Pic of the pulley adaptor adn triggerwheel setup i made - just needs the holes drilling and tapping in the adaptor for trigger wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can set the trigger return in relation to where the pickup is mounted.

On the stock ABF or 20vT engine, when the missing tooth is at TDC for cylinder # 1, the pickup is at tooth 14 or 85 Deg. Advance can be triggered up to 54 deg limited at tooth 5.

3. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

I've got 2 megasquirted golfs.
    one 2.0 tall block 8v, with a stock ABA/ADY internal crank trigger, with VR on the block. toot 1 is set to 77deg BTDC
    one 2.0 tall (ABA) block 16v, with a polo crank sensor rear oil seal combo, with tooh 1 set at 90odd deg BTDC. cant remember exactly as my tunerstudio project for that one corrupted and the car is in herefordshire so i can't plug it in and rebuild the project until I take the laptop (and USB to DB9 this time) to visit the parents....

So +1 for Toyo's"more than 54 degrees....

I'd throw it on so that toot one is about 80deg BTDC then, follow the MS instructions to set the advance to zero when running, and measure the actual (precise) angle with a strobe, then use that in Tunerstudio.

In the event that you get the offset a couple of degrees out in tunerstudio, then it'll basically just block shift your ignition map, but i take it you'll be custom building the map anyway!

4. Chaps Forum Member

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys.

Yes, plan to do a custom map on it, not completely up to speed on megasquirt and how to set it up yet, but we will get there eventually.