Trims attached to the front end

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by davkav, Feb 8, 2024.

1. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

So, as per my build thread, I've finally got the car back on the road. Everything nice and clean painted, powder coated etc etc.

First drive on a mucky day and my engine bay is destroyed [:v:]

So I have the 3 trims/shrouds that surround the radiator, however there is a big void of space to the left of the radiator (looking at the car head on) where debris, spray, muck can go straight into the bay. Is there a trim available the blanks this off?

I can't see anything on ETKA.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'll sell you some black Duct Tape.

3. davkav

Is it VW stamped?

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

There should be a trim both sides. I may have the left one although it may have been cut to fit a bigger radiator. I’ll have a look in the shed.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

6. rubjonny

thats for cars with 5 slat grille + spot lamps, single lamp version is 191853664B and jetta one is 165853664B.

if you have 7 slat grille its 191853664 for single lamp, 191853664A for spots and 165853664 for jetta

7. PhilRyder

8. PhilRyder

9. rubjonny

those are the rad shrouds that he said he already has, the bit I linkied to clips to the back of the grille to close up the open slats :)

10. PhilRyder

Ah ok, missed that.
    Still available new according to LLL Parts for significantly less than the eBay offering :thumbup:
    https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/191853664C01C/satin-black

11. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

You've a late model big bumper 8v judging from your signature?

Saw on your thread the air filter box was initially missing, with a cone filter in its place, but you've since gone back to the original set up.

If looking at your car from the front, the left hand head light'll have a box like shroud around it with a door that clips to it.

That partially reaches across towards the radiator, but stops short of where your spot-light'll be situated.

The spot-light itself acts as a block to incoming dirt, then to the right of that will be the side cover of the radiator (which it sounds like you have 191 121 284 AF).

The head-lights box like cover accepts the funnel from your air box, the funnel will have a foam gasket around it to semi-seal things when they're in place together.

Do you have that box cover?

It's 191 805 962 C, the lid for it is 191 805 965D

12. davkav

Thanks all.

I have the three fan shroud pieces and the box for around the driver side headlight.

So looks like I am just missing the piece between the driver side spot light and the radiator(191853664C 01C) and the door on the box around the light (191 805 965D).

Strange that there is nothing down on the lower driver side section of the bumper.

13. rubjonny

there is actually now you mention it. clips on the back of the hole on the big bumper
    191853677D - left
    191853678 - right, 340mm
    191853678A - right, 260mm

14. rubjonny

I believe the short one is for aircon, the big one is what you want

15. Zender Z20

If you are a very late model car then it's possible you'll have the same set up as mine, pictured below.

191 121 284 AF is the shroud that runs from the radiator towards the left hand head-light (as you look at the car in the image), if you imagine where the spot-light will be then you can see how the area is quite well protected right across.

191 121 284 AF is a one piece molding, I don't have another panel in addition to it between the rad. and head-light.

As RJ says / lists there's other panels lower down, they aren't in these images.

rad shrouds.JPG rad shrouds1.JPG rad shrouds2.JPG rad shrouds3.JPG rad shrouds4.JPG

16. rubjonny

huh, look at that. only on models vin 400001 onwards. mine is a very early 90spec built in December 89 so that explains why I don't have it

17. rubjonny

actually I'm talking bolex, I DO actually have one of those, or at least I did a long time ago before I put the Toledo ABF rad in. proof is in my picture stash... Showing original 'patina' :lol:
    abfswap3.jpg

Zender Z20 likes this.
  18. rubjonny

cant say if it had the grille blank on it, as the original grille was long gone by the time I got hold of the car. I'm sure I do have one of the grille blanks in my stash however. I can see it on the G60 brochure front cover image though...

19. Zender Z20

That's why I was asking if it was a late car, you'll have seen me make other posts about some of the stuff on mine that seems to be limited to the tail end of production... you'd wonder why they went to the expense / trouble sometimes.

Is yours Helios blue?

20. rubjonny

No royal blue metallic, Helios was a pre-90 colour though I heard you could special order it?