Trying to use IR on my laptop with 8910i

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by PhatVR6, Jun 22, 2004.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I can get it to "see" the phone, but it breaks connection after a few seconds and the Nokia software won't tlak to it at all.

what am I doing wrong?

2. BagPuss

BagPuss Forum Member

Nothing, the Nokia software is crap.

Does exactly the same with my Nokia 3650.
    Sometimes it wont even detect it, then when it does, it looses connection all te time, doesn't matter what bps I set it to.

And the damn thing is pointed directly at it with nothing in the way! [:x]

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Even just using the IR utility in windows, not the nokia software, it breaks connection. why does it detect it every now and then but not keep the connection open?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have found that some types of lighting can disrupt the IR link, had a real problem with our laptops and PDAs. In the end had to use a hand or piece of card :)

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

make sure its close to the laptop ;)

6. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

I had the same problem with trying to get Bluetooth connected with a PC with my 6600, turned out it was the firewall [8(] ...when I turned it off it kept the connection no problem then, with the modem disconnected of course ;) Have you not got Bluetooth on your mobile/laptop? if so, can`t you use that as it is more reliable(but still not foolproof) :)

7. ywouldi New Member

Make sure you have your data rate on your laptop IR set to a max of 5600 bits (or something like that). Laptops use fast IR and a nokia usually can only connect at that speed. Doing this has worked for me on my 2 Nokias (7650 and 7250i) and a mates 7200.

Assuming you're running XP

Start
    Control Panel
    Wireless Link
    Hardware tab
    Properties
    Advanced Tab
    Maximum connect rate
    OK etc

Ben

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

was on 98

now on xp

will download the new nokia software now
    cheers

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My 7210 is pooe with the IR to the laptop (and other phones!) as everyone says low bitrate will give a better connection.

10. I have a similar problem at the moment nut i'm using blue tooth.blue tooth is on com4, but the nokia stuff thinks its on com3 and thinks it finds the phone, but it won't connect properly and keeps dropping out.

I've given up

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

worked straight away with the lastet software off the nokia site

cheers for the help