Tuning the 2E 8v GTi engine

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jsh712p, Nov 1, 2004.

1. jsh712p Forum Member

Hi all

Ive posted b4 about me considering a VR6 or a late MK3 16v Golf.

I am still considering those but was also wondering what the tuning potential of the 8v motor is.

I have seen various cylinder heads that improve power output - generally around the 300+ price range. Do these reduce the low end torque of the engine?

Any advise from people who have fitted cams/heads/Air filters/exhausts that increase the BHP would be appreciated.

I reckon the 8v can produce a damn site more than the 115 it comes with!

Cheers

Martin

2. Lofty Forum Member

see chrismc has big 8v power (155bhp+) from an mk3 8v bottom end but its alot of work involved to reach that sort of spec.

I'm considering the same thing myself but have heard that the standard later GG head i have is limited but the size of valves that can be fitted.

My way of thinking is that you should see good gains on a properly P&P'd head with healthy bottom end, its good old fashioned tuning which isn;t to expensive unless your looking for big power. Main problem i've found is there are very few people who have done it to ask for advice.

I'll watch with interest

3. Kingsley Forum Member

ive a pb 8v with cam chip modded afm with f**kin huge a/filter full stainless and ported t/body and it makes strong power and ive done it quite cheap really but it has lost some low down but up nr 3500-7000 it pulls like a whore with her drawers down

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm in the middle of building one... I've been asking Chrismc about the spec of his, and he's been very helpful. 140-150 bhp is realisable for reasonable money (a grand-ish, if you do the work yourself)

The 2.0 tall block is a long stroke, so won't naturally rev very high. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on upgrading the bottom end, don't go for a wild cam - up to 270 ish degrees duration should be fine, as otherwise you'll move the power band out of the rev range that the engine is capable of without problems (6k RPM-ish max)

Cylinder head mods should yeild about 10%, depending on how much you spend - recut multi-angled valve seats and a porting job will cost 300-400 quid, if you're prepared to strip and rebuild the head yourself. Price goes up by 50- 100% if you want bigger valves, for about 5 bhp more...ish.

try www.blydenstein.co.uk
    (Bill Blydenstein for Prime Minister!)

I read on these forums that the PB head (from a late Mk2) flows better. The valves are the same size as the Mk3 head, but not sure what else you would need to change to get it to work with a Mk3 injection / management system.

So for 140 bhp ish you'll need

- A fast road cam (try the classifieds, ebay, or buy one new)
    - a vernier pulley - to play around with the cam timing
    - a modified head
    - a couple of hours on a rolling road

The end result should be significantly quicker, with lots of low down power, and similar fuel economy (the head mods make the car more efficient, but the cam will balance that out)

And an uprated clutch would be a good idea

If you want to spend more money and get a some more bhp
    - free flow exhaust + tubular manifold (nbt sure how much the cat and std exhaust will strangle it)
    - matched / flowed inlet / modded afm
    - chip

If you need the car for everyday use, I've got a spare Mk3 head you can use to build up the new engine, then swap it over when all the work's been done. It's from a '96 ADY engine, in very good condition (50 quid to you)

And if you really want to get great performance out of it....

PUT IT IN A MK2 [:D] and save lots of weight

or even better, a Mk1, I guess [:[] - wish I had one...
    Edited by: mikehorsb

5. jsh712p Forum Member

Thanks very much for all the info guys and the offers of help - all very much appreciated.

Im still not sure about my best course of action at the mo - still trying to find a good VR6 for sensible money.

If that doesnt pan out then the options you mentioned look like a good choice.

Thanks again, and ill let you know what I decide :)

Cheers

Martin

6. Lofty Forum Member

So if i aquire suitable head who can reccoemnd a expierebced outfir the P&P the head with specific knowledge of the VW ltr 8v (important to know the charecteristics i feel)

what else will i need, - work to manifolds, chip, exhaust (done) filter etc

what the best engione code to get a head from? (going onto an AGG)

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Try Calling Autotechnik is Southampton. They have done all my engine building for me. Will probably be able to work an AGG head for you....

If not id go for a mk2 PB head...