Turbo Air Leak? 02 mkiv Golf TDI PD 100hp (ATD)

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by maskedwarrior, Feb 26, 2014.

1. maskedwarrior New Member

Hi all, it's my first post here, and it's my first VW Golf so there's plenty I don't know.

I recently bought the car with 125000 miles, with a 3 month warranty. It's in excellent condition and been serviced annually since new.

When I rev the car at idle I can hear what I call 'normal' turbo 'whistle' that pokes out above the engine noise at about 2500 revs and above. I drive a lot of turbo vans and it sounds quite like what I'm used to.

However... when I drive and accelerate under load I can hear a 'hissing' sound, as well as the turbo whistle, that starts around 1500 revs and continues noticeably as the rev counter climbs.

It sounds to me as if the turbo is spinning up very early. And the hissing sounds to me like escaping air. And as it only does it under load this too seems to bear out my suspicion. What do you think?

So... today I took of the engine cover off and took these photos: http://s161.photobucket.com/user/maskedwarrior/library/Golf iv oil leak

You'll notice what appears to be an oil leak coming from part of the turbo. What part is this and could it be the leaking part, that accounts for the 'hiss' I hear?

Also, I'm peaking at below 45mpg on the motorway, driving sensibly. Which I think is a little below what I might expect. Maybe not badly below, but perhaps it's only a small leak (at the moment at least)? What do you think?

This is where my ignorance of vw and golfs really comes in and I feel my handicap! I just don't know what's normal. So I'd really like your opinions.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

2. maskedwarrior New Member

Any thoughts? Thanks

3. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

That part where the oil is leaking from is the exhaust recirc valve.